Hollis DIN regulator coming loose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

VWRdiver

Registered
Reaction score
Hello all,

My Hollis sidemount regulator has a part that keeps coming loose. It is the part that screws in with the allen wrench, the piece that inserts/screws into the tank valve. It is the allen bolt that is under the dust cap as in the picture.

I'm still figuring out my hose routing / tank placement, so it may be that my inflator hose is putting some torque on the regulator and turning it as it sits in the tank valve when it is under pressure.

Anyone know the torque spec for this piece?

Thanks!

upload_2021-6-7_12-19-13.png

Hello all,

My Hollis sidemount regulator has a part that keeps coming loose. It is the part that screws in with the allen wrench, the piece that inserts/screws into the tank valve. It is the allen bolt that is under the dust cap as in the picture.

I'm still figuring out my hose routing / tank placement, so it may be that my inflator hose is putting some torque on the regulator and turning it as it sits in the tank valve when it is under pressure.

Anyone know the torque spec for this piece?

Thanks!

View attachment 663933
I don’t know for sure if this is the same as scubapro but there is a small screw in part (same Allen as the plugs) that hold the filter in place, if so remove that and the filter and look deeper for a larger Allen which is what actually holds the DIN onto the regulator body.

This is a different regulator, but this shows the piece that is coming loose better. It is that allen screw, along with that whole circled top piece. It doesn't include the visible threads. That is the part that keeps coming loose.

upload_2021-6-7_12-47-27.png

This is a different regulator, but this shows the piece that is coming loose better. It is that allen screw, along with that whole circled top piece. It doesn't include the visible threads. That is the part that keeps coming loose.

View attachment 663937
These can jam up if the outer filter part is used to put the DIN piece on to the body, the threaded part is a sleeve. Tighten it with an Allen wrench when you think it’s tight quickly loosen it and see if the inner part (part that sticks up in the middle) unscrews. If all else fails take it to a shop and ask them.

I think you need to use a torque wrench to get that part on tight enough. The manual should tell you the correct setting for the torque wrench. Also, when taking the regulator off a tank, don’t twist the body of the regulator in the opposite direction when unscrewing the din wheel, as this will loosen the din module from the regulator body— only unscrew the din wheel itself.

Oh, so it could possibly that the filter is preventing the allen screw piece from properly seating when being tightened?

The o-ring looked kind of rough in there too if I remember right, so maybe it is out of place as well.

Yeah, I'll probably just bring it into the shop to have them take a look.

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Ok, here some pics to show what I’m saying, again I don’t know if the Hollis is exactly the same.
93775863-B269-4362-BC77-9F17EAA77FD8.jpeg

If loose this o-ring on the face of the inside won’t seal properly
FD03D023-E997-4448-AE64-5CE7D8521A32.jpeg

this is the seal against the tank
79EF3145-6020-4DE4-BEC2-9E51E9CCF840.jpeg

if you can remove the inner piece, inside is the filter and the Allen that actually mounts the DIN to the regulator body
79533125-5141-44D7-BD3D-75CB8A928FAD.jpeg

F9756757-C363-41A9-8CE4-18F95C121643.jpeg

filter retainer not yet screwed in.
52160602-05ED-498F-A6A2-5A7A768562FC.jpeg

Assuming the Hollis is an apeks clone, it’s similar but not entirely the same. There’s a procedure for inserting the din module into the regulator body which prevents pinching the sealing o-ring. The apeks service manuals also specify a torque number to set when torquing the din module onto the regulator body, so it doesn’t unscrew as op mentioned his has been.

Yeah, it looks a bit different, but similar to that.

I think flymolo is right - I think it is more similar to an Apeks reg.

I think the o-ring could be causing the issue. I'll take a look at that.

Thanks for taking the time for the pictures, lexvil.

Back
Top Bottom