Hollis DG03 Ascent Gauge -- Too sensitive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

milbournosphere

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Do any other DG03 owners out there have an issue with their ascent rate meter? I've got 5 dives on my new computer so far and the ascent meter is like an on/off switch. I'm either not ascending at all, or going off the charts. I usually peg the thing after a 15' safety stop. I move up to the surface calmly and slowly, but the computer seems to think I'm Speedy Gonzalez bolting to the surface. I've tried watching it and ascending as slowly as possible, but as soon as I begin moving up, the meter jumps. Here's a profile from a recent dive. As you can see, I never really have issues until I complete my safety stop and start to head up from around 15'.

Dive 3 - Profile.jpg

It's the only issue I'm having with the computer; I'm otherwise very happy. Has anybody else noticed this behavior on their DG03?

I just received delivery off my first DC - the DG03, so watching this thread...:)

Sent from my GT-N7000

After several subsequent dives, I'm guessing that it's just REALLY sensitive to positive vertical changes.

I've stopped paying attention to it after I complete my safety stop. I dove with several divemasters on a live-aboard this weekend and followed their lead when we dove together. On every dive, we rose faster than the computer wanted coming up from our safety stop, and pegged the ascent rate meter on the computer. My solution is to ignore the computer after safety stops.

You're either level or popping up like a balloon. It's too binary once you're under 20ft deep to be of any use. The only flaw I've found in an otherwise great computer.

We took our DG03's and Shearwater Petrels out for 8 dives.

I did notice that the DG03 always showed rapid ascent in the dive log.
I have yet to download the logs...It will be interesting to see what each computer states.

Perhaps they are triggering the alert on a variable ascent rate based on the % change in pressure- that could explain hypersensitivity very near the surface, if the equation were not changed at shallow depths.

Ron

I have the same observation occasionally with my Oceanic VT3 (Hollis, Oceanic, Aeris all American Underwater Products/Pelagic Pressure Systems). I've quit paying too much attention to occasional fast ascent signals when I've made a reasonable ascent. I have many dives when I do not trigger this alert. It may be that I am simply violating the variable ascent rate alarm at shallow depths. The 30 FPM rate above 60 feet would mean a 30 sec ascent from the 15 foot safety stop.

I think Ron's on to something there. I never have any issues at depth; only when depths above my safety stop at 15-20ft.

Back
Top Bottom