Hollis DC3+212 vs Oceanic FDX10+Delta 4.1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stuartv

Seeking the Light
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I can get either one of these for a good price. For the sake of argument, assume the same price for both. I want to dive some in cold water around home and some in the Caribbean. All diving would be within normal Rec limits.

Which should I get and why?

You can't go wrong with either. Oceanic and Hollis are the same company (Hollis is just the name used to market products to the tech crowd) and their regulators are made in the same place, by the same people, with many designs identical. I haven't tried the Oceanic, but it looks like it's also environmentally sealed with a venturi (pre-dive feature and lever to change breathing resistance) just like the Hollis.

So just pick whichever one is cheaper/looks cooler to you. Hollis is $100 cheaper, and I think they look better, but Oceanic is nice too.

2nd stage wise, 212 is pneumatic balanced, meaning balance by IP. Delta is mechanical balanced, meaning balanced by spring tension. It is actually not balanced strictly speaking. So I would guess 212 is a better 2nd stage.

Thanks, VS and eelnoraa.

Yes, the Hollis setup is $100 cheaper, but I'm trying not to factor that into the equation. They are both cheap enough that I want whichever one is actually better - not whichever one is a better value.

And from what eelnoraa said, it sounds like maybe the Hollis setup might actually be better.

How much is the Hollis? For these brands, you need to be sure you have a good deal because they traditionally run deep discount.

Right, runsongas. That's the exact deal I'm looking at. Right now, I'm just trying to find out how much it would cost to add a second 212, to make it a complete set. If I have to, I'll just buy 2 complete sets and end up with a spare 1st stage.

Right, runsongas. That's the exact deal I'm looking at. Right now, I'm just trying to find out how much it would cost to add a second 212, to make it a complete set. If I have to, I'll just buy 2 complete sets and end up with a spare 1st stage.

I bought one and the shop accidentally shipped me two. So, possibly free?

...It's actually happened 3 times now ordering online that the shop accidentally sent me two of everything in my order.

So, I bought the Hollis setup (DC3/2x212) from my LDS. It was a bit more than buying from DRiS, but I don't mind spending some extra to support a local business.

For the octo, why not just get HOG 2nd stage? I persoanlly think HOG classic 2nd is better than 212. 212 is almost entirely plastic. HOG class 2nd has metal barrel.

Back
Top Bottom