Hollis 212 vs Hollis 500SE

Hollis 500SE/DC7 vs Hollis 212/DC1 for Sidemount

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Although you didn't ask me I addressed the issue in my post which precedes this one.

Because the DC7 is fixed- it lacks the turret which rotates in the DC1. Because of the this hose routing can be difficult. If you are using forward or up facing SPGs you are limited in the HP positions you can use - if u are also using a redundant AI with them it becomes impossible to streamline without adding a 90 degree adapter- which a) does not always thread to sit exactly where you want it flush and b) creating an additional potential failure point.

The first stage is simply not ideal for the sm configuration. Breathes great- great environmental seal, but not flexible enough in hp/LP port locations.

Fairly simple explanation for anyone who's done more than 5 sidemount dives to fathom.

That makes sense to me. 500SEs with DC1s sounds really good. What about the free flowing of the 500SE, did you experience it? Why do you prefer the 500SE over the 212?

I have two sets of Hollis DC3/212 and they are great. I believe the only difference in the DC1 to DC3 is the swivel turret.

There seems to be some question regarding the number or ports on the DC3...both of mine have 4LP and 2 HP ports.

Anyway, specific to your question, while i have no experience with the 500SE regs, the 212's are great. Easy breathing, rarely free flows when the pre-dive lever is set to pre-dive. Overall, for my needs they seem to be great regs.

There are deals right now for the DC3/212 kit at $199 (or less).

That makes sense to me. 500SEs with DC1s sounds really good. What about the free flowing of the 500SE, did you experience it? Why do you prefer the 500SE over the 212?

Never had them free flow anywhere from caves to wrecks - even did ice dives.

have you seen this regulator test? SCUBALAB 2014: Regulator Review | Scuba Diving

The 212 in past years has been a big winner: 17 New Regulators | Scuba Diving
But in the scuba lab test, the 500SE was schooled by the much cheaper Hog reg. I agree it looks cool, but if you're determined to buy that shape, the devout poseidon following suggests that's a better route, while the better hollis regs are probably the 212 (and NOT, as you stated above, harder to breathe than the 500SE).

not my .02, all test data.

have you seen this regulator test? SCUBALAB 2014: Regulator Review | Scuba Diving

The 212 in past years has been a big winner: 17 New Regulators | Scuba Diving
But in the scuba lab test, the 500SE was schooled by the much cheaper Hog reg. I agree it looks cool, but if you're determined to buy that shape, the devout poseidon following suggests that's a better route, while the better hollis regs are probably the 212 (and NOT, as you stated above, harder to breathe than the 500SE).

not my .02, all test data.

Except the hog is a completely different style regulator Than the 500 se- side exhaust versus standard.

And the Holllis DC1 /212 beats the Hog any day of the week...

care to explain your not so humble opinion? and why they are not good for sidemount use?

Actually my post was a little on the quick and lazy side so I apologise humblyI should have added that I think there are better choices for side mount use and not inferred that you should not /could not use them, sorry..

Data that the Hog isn't a side exhaust - the Hollis 500 se making it usable even upside down or clearing bubbles away from the field of vision?

Or that it's turret 1st stage of the DC1 makes sidemount hose routing easy?

Or that it's breathing at depth scores of the Hollis 212 are statistically identical under all conditions ?

Or the fact that Hollis/Aeris/oceanic parts are more readily available as a worldwide manufacturer?

Which data is it you are looking for me to point you to? Manufacturer specs? Or the Hollis 212/DC1 benchmarks from the SAME magazine three years ago?

Now you're being silly. Do I want data that the reg is a different shape? Really?

Show me a comparison between breath ability of hog and hollis regs. I'm not being argumentative, I'd really like to see it. I've only ever seen both score highly, but in different tests.

As I think you know The benchmarks are not head to head because the different years of evaluation for them based on manufacture/production introduction but they are nearly identical across all categories and depths. It's not like the testing criteria changed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom