Hollis 200LX / DCX vs Atomic Z3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gsea

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Getting started on my AOW and am looking to get my own gear after having some really poor experiences on my last trip with rental gear. I find myself being drawn into more advanced diving and have eventual plans to get into tec and sidemount at some point in the not-too-distant future. Would like to buy quality stuff up front that I won't outgrow or feel the need to replace in a year or two.

For regulators, I've narrowed my choices down to the Hollis 200LX (DCX first stage and the 150LX octo) and the Atomic Z3 (w/ z2) octo.

I can get them both for the same price (near cost through friend at LDS).

Atomics seem to be the tried-and-true ubiquitous choice, but there are several things about the Hollis regs that appeal to me. That said, I can't seem to find hardly any reviews on them, and am a bit concerned by the recent recall.

Anyone have them or dive them? Will I be better served with the Atomic setup for other reasons?

Thanks!

There is no comparison, Atomic is wayyyyy ahead in every possible way, performance, reliability and stability of the company plus it is a US made regulator.

Last edited:
I would go with Atomic, I tried a Hollis for a few months and sold it. The Hollis was a good reg, reliable and light but once I tried a Z that was it, I now have two Z2’s (one Z first I use with G250 seconds) a B2 and an ST1, I seal them all and I find them to be better than good.

I annoyingly have to agree with @BurhanMuntasser on this one. You fit into one of the categories of justifying purchasing a specific brand due to access to your buddy.
Hollis regs are really not that great and the company has a lovely reputation for its inability to keep parts on the shelf. It's really not a discussion worth having, buy the Atomic.
Don't get the comfort swivel hose, they're nice but needlessly expensive. If you want a ball swivel, get one that goes between the hose and the second stage so you can change hose lengths easily. So if you're staying with the Z's, get Z2/Z2. I would recommend getting the LP swivel on the first stage. If you can swing the cost delta since you're getting them at cost, the M1 is a worthwhile upgrade

Don't get the comfort swivel hose, they're nice but needlessly expensive. If you want a ball swivel, get one that goes between the hose and the second stage so you can change hose lengths easily. So if you're staying with the Z's, get Z2/Z2. I would recommend getting the LP swivel on the first stage. If you can swing the cost delta since you're getting them at cost, the M1 is a worthwhile upgrade

Very painfully I agree 100%.

Z2 (sealed first stage version) or M1 are best values. Z3 only difference with the Z2 is the second stage hose swivel that isn't worth it, overpriced and, permanently attached to the hose.

I am not painfully agreeing.... I truly prefer the Atomics over any other. I agree with what the others have said about the comfort swivel hose. Also I agree get the M1. If you are looking to go tech in future. Get the M1 with DIN 1st stage. Pick up a DIN to yoke adapter. For tech you will need the DIN. With the adapter you can still use it with any yoke valve too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom