holiday with scuba Idea??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

h90

Contributor
Reaction score
Sitting in Bangkok, I am already boring from Pattaya and Chumphon.
I don't like crowded places like Koh Samui or Phuket.
Does anyone has a nice idea for a 3-5 day holiday in driving distance from Bangkok?

Have you been to Koh Samet? It's not very far from Pattaya - about another half hour drive and then a 45 minute ferry. It is a relatively quite island - particularly the Ao Prao side. I have been there a couple of times and really enjoyed it. The diving isn't great compared to other locations, such as Phuket, but it is a nice place to get away and not too far from Bangkok.

Sitting in Bangkok, I am already boring from Pattaya and Chumphon.
I don't like crowded places like Koh Samui or Phuket.
Does anyone has a nice idea for a 3-5 day holiday in driving distance from Bangkok?

You could just keep driving a couple hours further south from Phuket and go to Lanta. The car ferry will take you across to the island. Just lovely beaches, not crowded like Phuket, great diving at Hin Daeng/Hin Muang.

Bowmouth, TJ_Diver: I got told that Koh Changs nature is hurt badly from touristic development: But I wasn't there, is that right.
How is Koh Samet? My guide tell it is full with Bangkok people on weekend and locals are unfriendly, so I never considered it. Maybe the writer had a bad day? TJ_Diver: what is your experience?

I have been to Koh Samet twice, once was about 10 years ago and the second time a couple of years ago. There had been significant development inbetween my visits which probably has continued since I was last there. I went there with my family and we had a great time.
There are multiple locations to stay on the island. The ones I am familiar with are Ao Prao & Sai Kaew. The Sai Kaew side was quite busy with lots of people while the Ao Prao side was very quite. There were just a couple of resorts sharing a very nice beach. We stayed at the Ao Prao Resort (Koh Samet Ao Prao Resort). There was only limited options for dinner in Ao Prao, but what was there was very good. You can get to Saiw Keow by riding in the back of a pickup for 10 minutes or so over rather bumpy roads if you want more options.
My family and I have been trying to get back to Koh Samet because we enjoyed it so much. But we may not be as picky as some. If you don't want to travel very far from Bangkok I think it would be worth the trip.

I have been to Koh Samet twice, once was about 10 years ago and the second time a couple of years ago. There had been significant development inbetween my visits which probably has continued since I was last there. I went there with my family and we had a great time.
There are multiple locations to stay on the island. The ones I am familiar with are Ao Prao & Sai Kaew. The Sai Kaew side was quite busy with lots of people while the Ao Prao side was very quite. There were just a couple of resorts sharing a very nice beach. We stayed at the Ao Prao Resort (Koh Samet Ao Prao Resort). There was only limited options for dinner in Ao Prao, but what was there was very good. You can get to Saiw Keow by riding in the back of a pickup for 10 minutes or so over rather bumpy roads if you want more options.
My family and I have been trying to get back to Koh Samet because we enjoyed it so much. But we may not be as picky as some. If you don't want to travel very far from Bangkok I think it would be worth the trip.

I am not picky but my wife is! One cut tree is enough to get her environmentalist mode....
Actually good, but I am a bit bored from the two hours lecture of the last 1500 years of Thailand and how society damage everything now.:shakehead:

I haven't been to Ko Chang in quite a while. When I was there the island was largely unspoild with only few bungalows, resorts and/or tourists. I've heard it has changed a bit since my last visit and that there are more resorts, more roads and more tourist nowadays. I doubt that the island is "spoild" though and am confident that you can have a great time there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom