Hole in wing bladder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well guys, I found that I had three, yes, three small holes around the lower dump value. I found each in descending order of size. Biggest first, smallest last.

Aquaseal did the trick on all 3 holes. Now the real question.... I know that a BC is not meant to be a high pressure device. Would you all dive with 3 repaired holes in your BC? If so, would you put any limit on your dive other than your usual diving limits?

Thanks again for all your advice,

DivingCRNA:
Well guys, I found that I had three, yes, three small holes around the lower dump value. I found each in descending order of size. Biggest first, smallest last.

Aquaseal did the trick on all 3 holes. Now the real question.... I know that a BC is not meant to be a high pressure device. Would you all dive with 3 repaired holes in your BC? If so, would you put any limit on your dive other than your usual diving limits?

Thanks again for all your advice,

If it holds until your overinflate valve opens then it will hold no matter what depth you take it to. I would dive it.

I'd definitely dive it. Worst case is that your patch job sucks and one of the tiny holes leaks. Big deal. You probably won't even notice til your buddy points it out.

DivingCRNA:
Now the real question.... I know that a BC is not meant to be a high pressure device. Would you all dive with 3 repaired holes in your BC?
Well, I'll soon find out ... I just got done patching three holes in my Deep Outdoors doubles wing, and they are a bit larger than yours.

I was retrofitting some hardware on my doubles kit, got the whole thing put back together, and realized the new bolts were too long. So a wrapped a towel around the outer shell of the wing, plugged in the dremel, and cut the bolts. Of course, one of the (red hot) cut ends dropped through a hole in the backplate and ... well ... you're familiar with the China Syndrome, perhaps? Melted right through the outer shell, both layers of urethane, and out the other side. Then to add insult to injury, I managed to somehow put another "snag" hole in the bladder trying to get it out of the outer shell.

I used some spare urethane material (thanks Tobin) for patches, and aquasealed them to the bladder. It seems to be holding air just fine. Now I have to get some material to patch the holes in the outer shell, and I'll be good to go.

Of course, in the meantime, I got one of Tobin's new wings ... so this one's a backup ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

In 1993, an errant spearpoint cut two holes in my UDT vest, through and through. I repaired the holes by glueing and patching. Wiped the damaged areas and patches with solvent. Applied thin layers of dry suit glue to damaged areas and to patches. Waited 15 minutes. Pressed patches and vest materials together. Let set overnight.

I retired the vest a few months ago. The patches were still in place, leak free.

How did a spear contact the vest? A newbie freediver speared a 60 pound amberjack. His reel jammed. The diver managed to horse the large, powerful fish to the surface where a battle ensued with huge splashes. I rushed in and threw my arms around the thrashing fish to prevent him from sounding, and carrying my exhausted friend with him. The spearpoint, a detachable type, was protruding through the fish and poked my vest. I killed the fish with a dagger.

Back
Top Bottom