holding my breath while taking a photo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For the DOC to say that you should never pause the inhalation and exhalation cycle is just silly.

Again I think something has been left out. I never said that you should never pause. I said that pausing your breathing cycle is never desireable and more importantly, I said that you should not hold your breath and ascend. People do pause their breathing cycle during certain situations, picture taking being one of them. I went on to say that you should not be ascending while doing this.

SCUBA diving rules like "Don't hold your breath" are created more for the simplicity of explaining them, not because they are 100% correct.
I have argument with bosses at work over broadly worded rules, because we both have different interpretations of it (and having a stupid fat slob for a boss doesn't help).

For a novice diver that has just got their scuba ticket, abiding to the rule is generally a must, but as always its not about following the rule exactly, its more about understanding why it was created in the first place.
Now, I won't strictly condone breaking the golden rule, however if you have an experienced, healthy diver that is doing small "breath pauses" for photography, then I think its okay. If you had a newbie diver doing the same thing to try and increase their bottom time, then I'd give them a lecture on how peoples lungs can explode....

The important thing with safety procedures, isn't just following them, but its reducing the complacency that people get when they have to do the same stuff over and over.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom