Holbox whale sharks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great pics....I did that trip two years ago had a great time. Did you see Mantas and Dolphins also?

We saw plenty of mantas and dolphins. I got some surface shots. I tried to get some mantas underwater, but the viz was really bad at a depth of only 10-20 feet--nobody'll ever see those shots! -Clay

Hi Clay

Great shots of these graceful animals of the sea. I had my first encounter with a whale shark about a month ago in Phuket. This was a life changing experience. I am trying to be as graceful in my hectic life. Check out my video of this encounter at: Whale Shark encounter on Vimeo

Thanks for sharing your great moments: Quote: When people become too much-- I dive

Psychoted

awesome shots in low viz?? how did you do that??

There are 2 keys to getting wide angle photos in dirty water: use the widest lens you have to get very close, and make sure that the sun is directly behind you. I used a 10.5mm fisheye, and the photos were taken from as close as possible while avoiding a collision. Any side lighting really makes the water look bad. -Clay

Cool video psych. I saw 2 whalesharks when I was in Thailand. One was just a baby, maybe 6 feet.

Thanks for the murkey WA shooting tips LD.

One more pic from the trip. You can barely see my wife, Sharon, snorkeling on the other side of the shark. My camera is tilted pretty badly in the shot. It's not easy to compose when you're swimming absolutely as fast as you can to stay up even though the sharks appear to be barely moving. -Clay
dfebdd30.jpg

We were on 7/31. The vis was awful, this is about the best we could do (using a little POS P&S):

Attachments

• P7310037.jpg
    P7310037.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 36
Nice pics everyone. I first went to Holbox in 2001 and there was no mention of whale sharks at that time but we loved the island so we returned in 2006 and shark tours were all the rage and we got to swim with them also. My pics came out bad but the memory will last a lifetime. VERY glad the government set up some guidelines for the tours and hope they are still in place.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom