Holbox/Cozumel 07-06

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Travelnsj

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
After reading Ben Davidson’s (Undercurrent) report on Holbox 2004…I had to visit it myself. What a trip. I have never seen a WhaleShark…well I saw more than an eyeful. About 20 WhaleSharks the first day also Mantas and Dolphins. The second day about the same number, it is really hard to tell if you are swimming with that many as you do not know if the one you just swam with was the same one or not…but the waters are filled with them. It is mid July and I jumped in the water with a T-shirt and shorts…Yikes! That water was somewhere around 76 to 78 degrees…Jumped back on board for my 2mm shortie! These are magnificent creatures and Holbox is a unique and a wonderful little town. Great food and Great Ice Cream (Maresa’s homemade…Yum)! The good thing is the Mexican government is putting restrictions on the number of boats they let in the water, only bio degradable suntan lotion, only two divers and 10 minutes at a time in the water. I expect more restrictions in the future and as reports like this will make it more popular and the costs will go up. Stayed at the Puerto Holbox, Victor is the owner and made me feel like it was home, beautiful beach and rooms….Bring your bug spray! What a great place and unique experience.

I dove Cozumel last year and was impressed with the reefs/corals. This year it looks like moderate to heavy snows…Wilma did a number…but still some great drift dives….and sea life….water about 84 degrees….it does not seem like Cozumel is my kind of diving….But I have enjoyed both times I have been here….guess I love the currents and great drift diving and the beauty of the swim throughs. Stayed at the Casa Del Mar….Very Good dive operation, Renee, the other DM’s, boat Captains were great, also the accommodations, restaurant and menu were A+.

Both Cozumel and Holbox are still rebuilding from Wilma. They are doing a great job and everyone visiting the area may find it not being 100%....but they have contingencies in place.

Where is Holbox and how do you get there?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom