Hogfish spearing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Salmonboy97

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This little guy (legal game as determined by FWC regulations) was a survivor of a nearly fatal spear. Notice the notch in the top of his head! He finally made it to the dinner plate!
As a unique, fish I like this photo. It also serves as proof that a tear-off shot is not always fatal.

Attachments

• IMG_0015.jpg
    IMG_0015.jpg
    281.2 KB · Views: 189
This little guy (legal game as determined by FWC regulations) was a survivor of a nearly fatal spear. Notice the notch in the top of his head! He finally made it to the dinner plate!
As a unique, fish I like this photo. It also serves as proof that a tear-off shot is not always fatal.

There's another survivor down here off the coast of Venice.(at least a 20 incher) Almost got him 2 weeks ago. Nearly the same spot but in front of the dorsal fin. They always turn or duck as you squeeze the trig.

It's difficult to tell from the picture, but that little guy may actually be a gal. For those who don't know, male hogfish have a darker stripe or line down the nape or snout, whereas the females are lighter in color. The males usually have a harem as well in their territory and when he's taken out, one of the females will change to a male (protogynous hermaphrodites) to fill the void.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom