Hogarthian rig balancing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Confirmed. Have sucked a few tanks totally empty before.
Ditto.
Although once I take the tank out of the water and set it in the sun there's often a liter or two of gas "left" in there. Enough to go pffft for a second or two before its completely done. Being at ambient pressure and warming up ever so slightly "makes" half a breath of gas.

It goes without saying to most folks, nevertheless (for posterity).... I think we all agree that this talk of breathing a tank down to 30psi (or pick your really-low-practically-empty number) is based on the presumption that the 1st and 2nd stage regs are both balanced regs. I think, with an unbalanced piston 1st stage (for example), you would not get very close to the 30psi (or whatever) like you could with a balanced reg.
You can suck an unbalanced reg down too. Just only works shallow, like using an O2 bottle at 5ft. At least empty enough to have no needle movement on the gauge and unscrew the (DIN) reg without any purging required.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom