HOG Zenith vs. Dive Rite XT2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Regular schmoes CAN order Hog parts. There are even certs for Hog Reg Repair/Service Tech to teach you how to do the work. If I'm not mistaken, Hog was the first company to push for getting parts in the hands of divers. Many other companies have made it nearly impossible to get parts kits without being affiliated with a shop (eg: Hollis. I was a certified technician for Hollis and couldn't get parts without an affiliated Dealer).

So, regular schmoes who do not have HOG training can also get service kits? I am only asking for clarity, not to suggest doubt.

I also have Hollis regs and I can buy service kits for them from DGX also.

Correct, anyone can buy the kits

They are in stock at multiple stores, although I usually will get them from either @diverightinscuba or @Jim Lapenta

You can buy all sorts of service kits without restrictions... your local dive store might not and tell you something about they can't because they want and need to sell their service... but go goole apeks, zeagle, mares they are all available to purchase online... its a bunch of o-rings and diaphragms, plastic... there is even a source for all the service manuals out there on the internet
the question is, can you do it yourself and do you really want to breath from that for the sake of saving a few bucks...

Last edited:
Regular schmoes CAN order Hog parts. There are even certs for Hog Reg Repair/Service Tech to teach you how to do the work. If I'm not mistaken, Hog was the first company to push for getting parts in the hands of divers. Many other companies have made it nearly impossible to get parts kits without being affiliated with a shop (eg: Hollis. I was a certified technician for Hollis and couldn't get parts without an affiliated Dealer).

not quite true. A few companies like Dive Rite have always advocated for parts in the hands of the divers. HOG pioneered the anyone can take it regulator course which was an industry first. I.e. anyone can purchase any parts for any Dive Rite regulators, but they won't give you the manuals for it. HOG you can only get the manuals if you take the training course, but anyone can buy any parts at any time from them.

Regular schmoe here. I have bought Zeagle and HOG service kits/parts and downloaded both manuals from the comfort of my bagged-out lounge chair........... Where are those damned Cheetos?!

Last edited:
So, regular schmoes who do not have HOG training can also get service kits? I am only asking for clarity, not to suggest doubt.

I also have Hollis regs and I can buy service kits for them from DGX also.

Yes. With or without the class. The class is just nice because it's Mfg-approved training available to the public. As for DGX selling Hollis parts kits: Last I checked, AUP wasn't happy about it but only kind of allowed it. I called Hollis several times to get parts kits (while I was still an active Hollis reg tech) and was told it had to be through an authorized service center for work done at that service center. We even had to send back the used parts kits to Hollis.

Also, (at least a couple of years ago) the parts kit SKUs DGX was selling weren't the same as the SKUs we received from Hollis directly.

the question is, can you do it yourself and do you really want to breath from that for the sake of saving a few bucks...
I've seen how "thorough" the training can be (and I got the good training, not the DEMA-training) and how "competent" some reg techs can be. I service my own regs BECAUSE I've seen what happens at service centers. Even if you're more trusting: on trips, it's nice to be able to carry parts with you in case the destination doesn't have service kits for that reg and something goes wrong.

not quite true. A few companies like Dive Rite have always advocated for parts in the hands of the divers. HOG pioneered the anyone can take it regulator course which was an industry first. I.e. anyone can purchase any parts for any Dive Rite regulators, but they won't give you the manuals for it. HOG you can only get the manuals if you take the training course, but anyone can buy any parts at any time from them.
That's fair. What I meant was Hog was the first to push for people to have the parts and training to do their own service. Having access to the official training/knowledge is great but not necessary. Companies like Dive Rite selling the parts but not setting up a publically-available class are still doing great. People that "deserve" to be fiddling around their own regs shouldn't really need the training anyway.

Thanks for all the valuable input everyone.

I've had Edge regs in the past and had good experiences with them, so I might go with HOG, although I'm still open to either since it doesn't really sound like there's much of a difference. It's good to know that spare parts are available for both. I've also heard about that HOG technician class; I'm not sure if that's something I'll be pursuing in the near future, but it's good to know the option is out there.

@victorzamora : you mentioned you own both a XT2 and a Zenith and that each have their pros and cons; would you mind elaborating on what some of these differences you've noticed are?

I want to breath from that for the sake of avoiding the 2 of 2 bad services I encountered. Saving hundreds of bucks a year is just a pleasant side effect. I can't really put a price on peace of mind.

Last edited:
@victorzamora : you mentioned you own both a XT2 and a Zenith and that each have their pros and cons; would you mind elaborating on what some of these differences you've noticed are?

The pros and cons are pretty minimal, and I'm really splitting hairs...but:
- XT2s are reversible, which is great. It's not a feature I use at all, but it doesn't hurt anything and it's nice knowing it's an option. I know there were Zenith Switchbacks (I own one) but I don't think they're still available.
- HOG has the training course available, not that it's necessary...just a nicety.
- HOG regs have been supported since they first came out with no indication of that stopping. The parts kits are interchangeable (or nearly interchangeable) with other regs, so service will be easy.
- Lamar has done a good job of supporting stuff in the past, but I've been told some of the Dive Rite stuff gets support dropped immediately. On the other hand, Dive Rite has always done a great job supporting me and I've heard little other than great reviews.
- I've gotten good service from Hog the few times I've needed it.
- I prefer the simple/boring look of the XT2s over the Zeniths, but plenty of friends prefer the Zeniths.
- The XT2s have a ring inside the faceplate that, while nice, hurts my fingers to open (I told you I was splitting hairs).
- The Zenith has a bigger purge button, great for finding it easily.
- The XT2 has a smaller purge button, great for not getting hit accidentally or being triggered by a scooter

The moral of the story is that they are both great breathing regs from companies that have done well to support me and others in the past. You REALLY can't go wrong.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom