HOG Total BCD/Reg Package

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yes indeed I was a bit surprised by this 700:)
Now for 260 for a wing and a few dollars for strap by the meter and by reusing the d-rings and trigliders from your transplate you got a brand new set up for your children:)

My old rig was the dive rite SS plate, their transplate harness, and SS DR tank adapter. Using a steel 110 I wear 4lbs of weight in fresh water, and about 6-8 in fresh water depending on my wet suit.

this HOG rig is an aluminum plate. I have no STA and I’m still using the steel 110. I do have the padded shoulders but not the padded back plate. In the pool in shorts and a T-shirt I was staying on the bottom with 4lbs. I still need to dial in for a wetsuit, so there is that. But so far I’m not seeing a huge increase in buoyancy.

With a Dive Rite ~3lb lightweight SS plate, HOG 32lb wing, one piece webbing, and Apeks 3lb pouches (pretty much neutral), and wearing a 3mm full wetsuit...I only need two pounds of additional weight for a freshwater dive. My current setup is a complete hodgepodge, but I like it.

The two shoulder pads aren’t a huge deal buoyancy wise. If you think they’re comfortable...keep them. I liked them once I got them in place, but it seemed like they’d often get turned around and I’d have to reposition them. Not entirely a personal problem (lol), as I’ve seen others run into that with similar setups.

It’s a great all around setup and I’m sure you’ll be happy with it.

With a Dive Rite ~3lb lightweight SS plate, HOG 32lb wing, one piece webbing, and Apeks 3lb pouches (pretty much neutral), and wearing a 3mm full wetsuit...I only need two pounds of additional weight for a freshwater dive. My current setup is a complete hodgepodge, but I like it.

The two shoulder pads aren’t a huge deal buoyancy wise. If you think they’re comfortable...keep them. I liked them once I got them in place, but it seemed like they’d often get turned around and I’d have to reposition them. Not entirely a personal problem (lol), as I’ve seen others run into that with similar setups.

It’s a great all around setup and I’m sure you’ll be happy with it.
One of the things that I hated about the transplate harness was that the shoulder pads twisted and bunched up all the time. Before I installed shoulder straps on the HOG I found that they did the same thing. I moved the last triglide from behind the top shoulder pad retention loop to in front of it. The shoulder pad can longer bunch up and everything stays very locked in. I may even go back and add a few inner tube bands between the D rings and that last triglide to keep everything together.

One of the major differences between the transplate and hog harnesses is that the transplate version tries to keep it closer to DIR standards. The waist strap on both is a single piece that bolts to the plate through the bottom bolt, and the shoulder straps are a single piece that bolt to the plate at the top. Furthermore, the webbing is doubled up through all of the triglides on each shoulder. The HOG uses two pieces of webbing to make the shoulders and the instructions seem to indicate that you do not double up any of the webbing anywhere. This leaves you with a 6” stub of strap under the shoulder harness that can potentially wiggle out from either side of the shoulder strap. I went back and fed that 6” tail through a triglide just to keep it locked in. I would have preferred the single piece bolt in option for peace of mind.

Now for 260 for a wing and a few dollars for strap by the meter and by reusing the d-rings and trigliders from your transplate you got a brand new set up for your children:)

Maybe I will just convert this Closer to a HOG rig just to see what it’s like. I’m a big boy and I just don’t see the allure or comfort in it. I can wear a weight belt, which I actually prefer over integrated weights. I have been using the weight pockets on this new rig because the overall weight is so low with the aluminum plate. I only put the pockets on mine just see if they might come in handy. I think my finger reel will fit nicely in one side. Not sure what to put in the other. I may convert to regular pockets so nothing falls out of the gaps at the bottom or the dump strap gets caught and releases my gear to the bottom.

Yup. I went with a single piece harness when I put my second/current BP/W together (kept the HOG wing though).

I would have likely gone with HOG stuff this time around (I wanted a lighter plate), but my local HOG dealer moved and I had a Dive Rite dealer handy.

609DF3B3-0211-4229-A33E-B748E513502B.jpeg

Thank you to everyone for the replies and answers. I am really stuck between this one and a OMS wing. There was a comment on FB from someone that was part of the design team or some such and they commented that the STA is meant to be used with all the hard BPs.

Thank you to everyone for the replies and answers. I am really stuck between this one and a OMS wing. There was a comment on FB from someone that was part of the design team or some such and they commented that the STA is meant to be used with all the hard BPs.

You can use a STA with any BP that it fits. Ex. I used a Deep 6 STA with my HOG BP for a bit. However, depending on the wing you go with...you may not need a STA. Ex. The HOG 32lb wing has built in tank stabilizers.

If you get a wing that doesn’t have some form of tank roll control/stabilization you will probably want a STA. It looks like the OMS wing has tank stabilization tabs too.

If you wet the tank straps before you attach your tank, you don't need a STA.
Done this for many years with or without a wing without a single tank slipping out.

My tank sits pretty solid on the tank stabilizers. So far I’m not concerned about the tank shifting. In my opinion, there is nothing the OMS wing does that the HOG cannot do. Except cost more.

Well done! I love HOG and get all kinds of looks and questions when I am diving. I use the STA and love it. But I haven’t not used it so I can’t really compare it it anything.

Back
Top Bottom