Hog Side Mount

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Will the Hog harness have the ability to add weights in a similar manner as the Hollis and Dive Rite? I use a fair bit of weight in my winter undergarment and the Hollis/Dive Rite weight plates seem like an elegant solution so I am hoping the Hog will have something similar.

Has anyone seen the final production model yet or heard anything as to when the harness will be available in stores?

Anyone have any pics or additional info on this rig? I ordered a stealth but its on back order for a week. Considering canceling the order so I can compare the two.

I am looking for info on the rig too. Can anyone provide links or reviews??
Cheers

Mike

I had a chance to try one yesterday at the quarry with guru Steve Lewis. Since I have virtually no sidemount experience, it would be hard for me to give a comparative opinion. But here are my newbie impressions.

It fit me very well, a little better than the SMS75 that I also tried on. I have limited shoulder mobility and a long torso, so the longer HOG put the butt rings in a more accessible spot for me. However I think the design would be a little better if it were 2 pieces instead of one. Although the placement is adjustable, the overall length is fixed. I don't know how else to describe it. With my long upper body it worked fine.

Quality seemed reasonable, but not bulletproof. And there were some issues. This could happen to any rig, but my first pull on the dump valve immediate broke or untied the knot so that the entire dump cord pulled out. As I was already in the water with tanks on, it was not convenient to take the entire thing off and fix it. I tried to stuff it in Steve's pocket, but it eventually was lost. Not a great start. Trying to fine tune bouyancy by dumping with the inflator was a bit of a struggle and position related, but that was probably more due to my inexperience with SM. Couple this with one of my HOG second stages breathing very wet and it became a bit of a frustrating HOG day even though it was probably my fault.

Overall it was a good experience and the rig seems to be a good value.

Last edited:
Hey Ken,
Do you rekon the hog SM rig may not fit so well for a shorter diver due to the fixed length?
Is there a way to make modifications to the rig to suit divers?
Does it have a in built weight/trim system?
Cheers

Mike

There was no built in weight system. But my understanding is that there are optional weight pouches that attach at various places. I think the same is true of most SM rigs. As for fit, I don't know what kind of size choices are available. The one I used would not have been a good fit for someone smaller. Even someone about my size, but proportioned differently. What worked for me with my bad shoulders was that the butt rings were comfortably low. And they were at their highest setting and I have a long torso. For someone with long legs as a short torso, they might have been too low.

iPhone. iTypo. iApologize.

Cool thanks for the info. I'm very interested in buying one but at 5'7 I'm unsure of how it will fit and HOG gear here in Australia is as rare as gold.
Cheers

Mike

Back
Top Bottom