HOG Second Stage on an Atomic B2 first as an octo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Snoog37

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Found a new B2 set (first and primary second) for a good deal. But now I'm less than excited about paying the $$$ that Atomic is getting for their octos. Keeping my eyes on the used market, but have not found anything worth pulling the trigger on just yet.

Besides the whole consistency & convenience of same-brand regular service--does anyone see any challenges with using a HOG D1 Second stage as an octo on my Atomic B2? Seems like a reasonable place to start while hunting for a reasonable Atomics octo?

I think you can use most octos on the Atomic first stage and they work just fine. I specifically asked about this of the Atomic folks when I bought my ST1, and now I'm using an old Oceanic Delta 2 as the octo. There is not much difference in the intermediate pressures of the different regs.

I see not reason why you cannot use it. The IP for the B1 first stage seems to be 125-145 (quite normal IP) so I think you can use any second stage that is designed to work with this IP.

I usually detune my neckless/octo so they do not free flow easily...

One thing though... You indicate that you are not certified. If you have in your mind (even remotely) to "go Pro" with your reg eventually stick to one brand due to liability issues. The company would use this as an excuse in no blink to quit supporting you in case if you are involved in an accident as a profesional.

Take it with a grain of salt as I have no first hand experience but this is what I was warned about by my instructor... and they had real cases.

From technical prospective I have used Zeagle on Apeks, Apeks on Zeagle, SP on Apeks and Zeagle and had no issues...

Last edited:
I use to interchange 1st and 2nd's regularly[mostly out of curiosity and looking for max performance].....Apeks, AL, SP, Atomics, Mares and now HOG...Never had a problem, just ask manufacture if there's any compatibility issue [they'll 'advise' you stay w/same brand ]......Won't always perform at optimal levels, but in majority of cases they worked.....Sometimes there's incompatibility w/a certain 'model' from one brand, w/a 'model' from another brand.......There have been previous posts/threads about this......

Back
Top Bottom