HOG Regs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

can anyone confirm where this reg is manufactured? With the current global economy, we should be considering this very carefully before making any decisions. It seems to me that "made in china" is an ever growing trend. Consider this... are they supporting our economy?

Yes, it appears that you can buy the service kits online. That is nice. However, will you be able to in 5 years? Will your LDS be able to in 5 years? In my ever growing fleet of regs, I plan on buying several more conshelfs. Made in North America, bulletproof, and I will be able to find parts for them in 5, 10, 15 years! Also, still used today by the US navy. So, we know they are a no BS reg.

It looks to me they are manufactured in Taiwan. I won't be surprised if the bulletproof regulators you've mentioned are not assembled from Chinese parts (if not completely produced in China). Does it really matter so much?

As to the parts for service, what are we talking about? You need about 10 O-rings, a diaphragm that is probably the same as in some Dive Rite and Zeagle regulators (manufactured by the same Taiwanese company). My guess is that you'll be able to get any of these parts for quite a long time.

I was surprised at the so many positive reviews, then, I looked deeper into the contents of the review and was amazed to see people reviewing the regulators even without using them once! For example here: D1 Regulator Set - Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL

"I have yet to dive these regulators, but my initial impression is these are high quality. The first .." and lots of similar crap.

I think the problem is that the shop (which I really like, BTW, and they visit this board quite frequently to answer questions etc) in order to encourage divers to write reviews has offered 5$ (not cash- but in redemption points) for writing a review... I think it is a wrong policy, as lots of the reviews do not contain any useful information.

That said, I think these regulators are just the same as Dive Rite 3000, Zeagle 50D and probably many other brands that buy the very same regulators from the same source in Taiwan: ODS you'll probably find quite a lot of familiar regulators. Funny, but sometimes the very same product jsut with a different logo costs a fraction of the price :wink:

And if I forgot to mention, Hog are fine regulators!

Well, I did not get mine from Dive Right in Scuba or get any "points". But a couple of points raised by this post and several others.

I don't know about the Dive Rite (have not taken one apart or even used one), but it is not the same as the Zeagle 50D.

Being made in the same place as other regulators does not mean it is the same (speaking from an engineer that has been in mfging for over 30 years)... it may use similar parts.. it may not.

While I don't have hundreds of dives on it, I would hope at this point in my dive experience, it would not take that long to tell if something is wrong with the design.

Does price go into the my evaluation...not really. I can afford pretty much any regulator I want.

Do I take them apart? Just the second stage so far, but yes.

Do I like (love?) every regulator I have purchased? Nope.

Is this regulator for everyone? Don't think so.. it has both good and bad aspects.

Here is a short list of regulator issues I did not like:

1. Zeagle flat head - like the first stage, hate the second. The second stage, to be adjusted to breath really fine, one has to have the lever bent just so...not a fan of bending parts to make a regulator work well. Zeagle did not clean the metal that sits against the seat in the second stage, two of mine (I had 4) had large burs that over time damaged the seat. And if someone adjusted them without pushing in the purge, it destroyed the seat (had it happen twice at different shops). Fixing it, once one knew the issue was easy, but you should not have to.
2. The 650 scubapro second stage. Leaked water when upside down, and more importantly, in a strong current, the exhaust valve was easy to pull up and flood the second stage. I would suspect that people have died from this aspect.

Here are regulators I do like:

1. The TX200 apex regulators... have several, like everything about them except for the din connection, where it is easy to extrude the internal o-ring and have a leak.

2. Scubapro 250V... a tank of a second stage... noisy, large, but a very nicely built reg.

3. Posiedons..any of them. Just wish they had stable distribution in the US.

There is a huge list of ones I think are "ok", including several Mares and Oceanic.

So, back to the Hog's. They are metal second stages, so they are heavy... and you can break them putting the back together (plastic is so much more flexable).

I think they could have made the inside of the second stage a cleaner design.

I think they could have had better water exposure to the diaphram.

However, I like the build, the materials and the function of them. And building them with all Viton o-rings is a very nice feature (my reason for buying it in the first place).

anyone know which exact reg they are from oceandivers? hog regs look good but it'd be nice to look up the numbers before buying.

Check this out:
Scuba Regulators | Scuba Diving Regulators | Dive Regulators | Scuba Max: at Divemastersupply.com
Pneumatically balanced, sealed and balanced, turret hose mounts, and balanced flathead designed regs for under 200 bucks...Even come with adjustable second stages.

Probably the same OEM as Hog anyway...Ocean Divers Supply.

:sharkattack:

May be from the same maker, but these are very different regulators. Notice the plastic second stage, only one DIN version and only one sealled version, with the sealed one looking like an Apex copy. The second stages are plastic and these might not even be rated for 40% Nitrox.

How many parts are the same inside is unknown.

HOG 2nd stages cases are plastic......the ScubaMax looks very, very similar to the HOG with the exception of the purge cover and plastic adjustment knob.

....not surprising since all balanced adjustable 2nd stages are very similar. Take off the cover and most would have difficulty telling apart a Zeagle, Scubapro, Apeks, Atomic or HOG.

i've gotten about 20 dives on mine so far. yes, they are all ODS built, but custom ordered with some minor hardware & finishing differences plus an extra LP port. no complaints so far ... easy to operate in thick gloves, slams air into your lungs at MAX, won't free flow even if you try reaaaaal hard at MIN. i'm also a big fan of hard purge buttons! only complaint is the mouth pieces (i swapped some comfo-bites on) and the swivel on the 1st stage (unnecessary in my configuration). wish i had access to the service manual though.

As to the parts for service, what are we talking about? You need about 10 O-rings, a diaphragm that is probably the same as in some Dive Rite and Zeagle regulators (manufactured by the same Taiwanese company). My guess is that you'll be able to get any of these parts for quite a long time.

I might be wrong but I believe Zeagle is manufactured on their plant in Florinda

I might be wrong but I believe Zeagle is manufactured on their plant in Florinda

You are not wrong. Zeagle regs are made in Fl. However, many of their bc's are sourced from China.

May be from the same maker, but these are very different regulators. Notice the plastic second stage, only one DIN version and only one sealled version, with the sealed one looking like an Apex copy. The second stages are plastic and these might not even be rated for 40% Nitrox.

How many parts are the same inside is unknown.

All new regs on the market today are rated for 40% Nitrox...just an FYI.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom