Hog Intermediate Pressure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CAPTAIN SINBAD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I heard that Hog regulators have a tendency to drop IP and you constantly have to tweak it. Is that typical of a Hog regulator? Can anyone aware of the internals of a Hog reg comment? Thanks guys.

Should your title read "intermediate pressure" instead of "internal pressure"?

-Z

Should your title read "intermediate pressure" instead of "internal pressure"?

-Z

Ya. Auto-speller on smart phones is not THAT smart. Thanks for pointing it out. I do not see an option to change the title though. If mods could fix the spelling that would be great.

Several types of HOG regs. I am most familiar with the D1. I have noticed a tendency for Intermediate pressure to creep up (increase) after a few dives (post rebuild).

a certain amount of “creep” is ok, as long as it locks. (I think the manual says 4-5psi)...

if the IP does not lock, and continues to build, you have a high pressure seat issue.

you also need to check your IP at both ends of tank pressure. I test at around 500psi, and then 3,000. If your IP is around 135 at both ends and locks up after a couple seconds, you are good to go.

*TDI offers training on this.

Not in my experience during use.....

During a rebuild, just like any other reg, it will take a few dozens of cycles for it to get ‘worn in’ and you will have to adjust the IP up, but that’s again, like most other regs...

_R

I heard that Hog regulators have a tendency to drop IP and you constantly have to tweak it. Is that typical of a Hog regulator? Can anyone aware of the internals of a Hog reg comment? Thanks guys.

@Jim Lapenta is very familiar with HOG reg setup and service. He teaches their service classes and I believe had a hand in writing their service manual, perhaps he could shed some light on your question.

-Z

Ya. Auto-speller on smart phones is not THAT smart. Thanks for pointing it out. I do not see an option to change the title though. If mods could fix the spelling that would be great.

Done

This is another rumor/comment/piece of BS that goes around. Once the IP is set it stays there unless there is an issue due to age, use, wear, etc. I have had D1's that held their IP for over 400 dives.
It is normal after a rebuild for the IP to drop slightly over the first few dives, depending on how they were cycled during the post rebuild testing.
I try to cycle the regs a minimum of 50 times at 500, 1500, and 3000 after I have set the IP. Set at 135 at 500 and then cycle it tends to stay the same with perhaps a 1-2 PSI drop. Move to the 1500 and cycle 50 times or so. Then move to the 3000 PSI supply pressure and it may drop 5-8 PSI as it is cycled and the seat begins to take the set. Tweak it up to 133-135 and cycle another 50 times. Then I take them to the pool and dive them for an hour or so and if necessary, adjust them. Then they get sent back to the customer.
Over the 1st dive or two, you may or may not notice a small 1-3 PSI drop. If it was set at 135 that means it's now at 132-134 at 300 PSI which is perfectly acceptable and the average rec or tech diver would not notice a difference.
If someone is constantly having to tweak or adjust IP, the problem is more likely with who serviced the reg last. Rather than the reg itself.
I know there are techs who don't bother to cycle the reg enough, pay attention to the amount of lube they use, how clean the work area and reg are during a rebuild and use the proper torques and rebuild/testing procedures. I've seen numerous examples over the years when the regs get sent to me to be fixed.
I also know there still shops out there pushing bullcrap lies about the regs, servicing them without authorization or training, and using parts from other brands and telling people when the regs start acting up that they are junk. They need replaced with this one that costs two to three times as much.
Just had 5 sets from a PSD team that their local shop told them were no good. Same shop serviced them last time and used parts (seats, o rings etc) that HOG has never had in their kits.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom