Hog harness/BP for tall folks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

S0ckm0nk3y

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey all,

I'm in the midst of trying to fit my new halcyon BP to my 6'5" frame. No matter how I adjust the straps I can't seem to get the shoulder straps to fit right. Of course the waist band sits way above my waist... but all BC's are belly shirts for me.

I was thinking of adding a strap across the chest like the diverite...

Does anyone have any advice on either fitting my hog setup... or maybe know of any non halcyon hogarthian webbing/straps that might fit better for someone of my size?

Thanks!

-Eric

It sounds like you might need a longer BP. I know there is at least one company that makes BP's in different sizes but their name escapes me.

I am 6'4" and I will be interested to see the answer to this one as I recently purchased a DR BP. I know Fred T and DSS both make longer plates but I got a good deal on the DR plate. Haven't tried to set it up yet but I was assured by others that they are "infinately adjustable".

Flatliner

Im 6'6" so I know the feeling I dive a SS and a AL bp form OMS. both plates fit good but not great. one thing you might want to try is to cross the harness like a X behind your head so when you look at it it might look like this.
glasses_022.jpg

This way the sholders are pulling the harness tighter. But this will make it harder to get into the gear. I have mine the original way now and dont notice a diffrence but its worth the try

Using a standard size plate for a big guy is like wearing size 10 socks on a size 12 foot.

Get a FredT XL, it is about 2 inches longer than the standard size. I just got one about a month ago after diving a Dive Rite plate for 8 years. I should have done it years earlier. I am 6' 3", 215lb.

The "waist" strap is lower so it does not compress my diaphragm and effect my breathing rate. I am able to trim out better, I can get in and out of a correctly adjusted rig easier as well.

If you are going to dive doubles the FredT is a better choice. The angle and channel on his stuff is set up for doubles. The DSS has been modified for primarily single tank use, even though they claim that they work well with doubles.

Fred will deal with you straight up. You do not need to go through a vetting process that Tobin feels is necessary.

You know that on a properly sized backplate the waist strap is still a bit high right? More like hiking your pants up vs your real waist...

Here's a write up on size differences on 5thD-X's website:

Equipment Education: Do I need a different sized backplate?

S0ckm0nk3y:
Hey all,

I'm in the midst of trying to fit my new halcyon BP to my 6'5" frame. No matter how I adjust the straps I can't seem to get the shoulder straps to fit right. Of course the waist band sits way above my waist... but all BC's are belly shirts for me.

I was thinking of adding a strap across the chest like the diverite...

Does anyone have any advice on either fitting my hog setup... or maybe know of any non halcyon hogarthian webbing/straps that might fit better for someone of my size?

Thanks!

-Eric

Eric,

At 6'5" I'd recommend a longer plate. Our "Long Pattern" Plate has been used successfully others in your height range. I'd recommend staying with a conventional "Hogarthian" harness.

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom