HOG G1 SPG . . . what is this part, please?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You know, I used to replace those o-rings, until my LDS pointed out that the whole spindle assembly is about $2, so I don't bother prying those itty-bitty guys off any more.

You know, I used to replace those o-rings, until my LDS pointed out that the whole spindle assembly is about $2, so I don't bother prying those itty-bitty guys off any more.

Wow . . . how often does one have to replace this spindle / o-rings?

On a more serious note the spools are often forgotten when it comes to maintenance. Salt water gets into the space between the o-rings and a quick rinse will not get it out. As such, the spools get quite corroded and after some time with seize up and break. At which point you will see tiny little bubbles coming out from your hose. As TS&M and others noted having a spare spool is great to have in your save a dive kit as I have replaced several in the past on dive buddies kits. Which reminds I do not think I replaced the one I used last summer on my brother-in-laws reg while in Palau.

Which reminds I do not think I replaced the one I used last summer on my brother-in-laws reg while in Palau.

Does this mean that these spools are standard and work on any SPG and 2nd stage or do you need to have one that is designed for a particular piece of equipment?

Last edited:
Does this mean that these spools are standard and work on any SPG and 2nd stage or do you need to have one that is designed for a particular piece of equipment?
@sffrenchman: As far as I know, there are three different kinds of HP spools. Piranha Dive Manufacturing carries all three of them at a decent price. Buy one of each and put them in your save-a-dive kit. Some Christolube or Tribolube would also be good to have.

At the very least, the HP spool should be serviced whenever your reg goes in for servicing.

They are standard in dia but some are and should be longer. Pack the grooves with grease is good to delay seizing or you could like a bloke that ambushed me in a car park at the top of a cliff one day, "Do you mind if I tag along," with his spg screwed directly into his first. "YES."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom