HOG Drysuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What is the remediation if I buy a custom dry suit -- be it HOG, DRIS, BARE, or DUI -- and then don't like its fit?

BTW, I love DRIS return / exchange policy, that alone keeps me coming back for gear.

What is the remediation if the suit leaks? Can all leaks be fixed?

BTW is the HOG suit the same as what you sell on DRIS?

Thanks,

Bill

I dive a Hog predator drysuit. I bought it about 2 months ago and have about 30 dives on it from Shallow work dives to deeper play dives. I bought an off the shelf XXl suit as I am 6'2" 250. in hindsight I should have followed the chart a little better and bought the xxl short. I did not pay the custom price however DRS reviewed my measurement chart and helped confirm the sizing although they did suggest the XXL short but I did not listen.

The suit in couple of words is I love it ! Look at the standard features that are normally options that cost extra. I had mine changed from boots to socks - no charge
it came with 2 well placed easy to work zipper pockets that are plenty large enough for a reel and a SMB

it came with the front shoulder zipper with zipper cover. Warm neck seal, Velcro wrist cuffs and ankle cuffs to provide a nice layer of protection to the latex seals

it has suspenders that are Velcro so they are easy to adjust but don't come undone.

The Knee pads are correctly placed and the general fabric of the suit is very durable. It is a BI lam so your warmth will come from your undergarment

the valves are correctly placed and can be moved.

No for size i would think that if you blow the measurements you are probably going to spend some money having it corrected. If it is miss sewn I know HOG and DRS would take care of you.

As for protection of Bought the DRS suit warranty and so my zipper is covered for damage every 3 years my seals are covered for wear or damage at one set per year and the suit gets free leak test and repairs. so I can count on being dry for the affective life of the suit with me only paying postage.

I own a Bare Bi lam, a DUI CF 200, a diving concepts crushed neoprene with kevlar covering and the HOG. I enjoy all of the suits for different reasons. I would and will never shy away from another HOG suit and I would recommend that you call the folks at DRS.

Herb

I picked up a custom cut HOG drysuit from DRIS earlier this year. I actually talked with Chris from HOG at a trade show a few years back and he convinced me to hold out until they released the suit in a newer fabric, which was around this time last year. So far I have about 30 dives on my suit including several tech and ocean dives. At this point I am very happy with the suit. The material is quite durable and has excellent flexibility. My previous suit was a stock Bare NexGen and when the material went tight my arms stopped. This is not the case with the HOG suit. I found during valve drills in my Adv Nitrox/Deco course that my physical flexibility was more limiting than the suit. The pockets are nice and big, but have no attach points for a bolt snap. This was easily fixed by sewing a loop of bungie to the inside of the outer pocket fabric. Since it was custom, Mike at DRIS was able to arrange USIA to install soft socks on my suit. I’m not a fan of the installed hard boots so this was a nice selling point for me. Overall is the suit as nice as my buddies custom DUI 450CLX? No, however I could have purchased two of my suits for the price of his. For the price point I think this suit is a no brainer. You can also look for reviews on the USIA Techniflex suit, as it is basically the same thing. Feel free to PM me if you have further questions.

We do take suits back that don't fit, but we do everything to make sure that doesn't happen. We have a VERY small amount of suits that come back due to...well, knowing what we are doing :wink:

As far as leaks, Those suits have a lifetime seam warranty. The manufacturer covers it We do offer a lifetime warranty on all the suits we sell...one of the options is actually FREE:
Lifetime Drysuit Warranty Information - Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL

But, yes, any leaks can be fixed on that suit. Because of the internal material, you can even use our Drysuit Repair kit, for a 2 minute from leak to dive repair:
Whites Drysuit Patch Kit | Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL

What do you mean "sam as what we sell on DRIS"? We do sell the Hog suit, and a variety of others :D

Pretty sure Jim Lapenta dives them.

I dive it and sell it as noted in more than a few threads. Mine was a stock size. All the others I have sold were semi or full custom. Even when someone looks at the size chart and decides they are a stock size I insist they fill out the custom form and let me and the maker insure that is the case. I have over 300 dives on mine and just had the seals replaced by Superior Drysuit Repair. I've been using them for suit alterations and repairs for eight years now starting with my OS Systems semi custom. It is all they do. For seams I'd send it back to USIA as they are warrantied for life. My GF dives an Edge suit and loves it. For years I have been assisting and helping people get set up for suits. Even before HOG came on the scene. I have a learned a few tricks for.fitting suits that the person who measured my first one could.have used. Like never measure for a suit in a t shirt and shorts. Especially if you plan on using.heavy undergarments.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

I could not extend my arms fully in the closest-fit Fusion (XX / XXL). They do not do custom suits. Also it was very hard to get on, I learned to do it better as I used it more, but it never became "easy" for me.

- Bill

Cheers. I'm looking to buy my first drysuit and have my eye on them more for pricing and that they supposedly fit a wide range if body types off the rack. I'm pretty small and can't afford a custom suit here in Japan.

I was in the same boat as you last year or so looking at the HOG suit. Nobody in my area was diving one and no shops had one in stock to look at. But I ended up getting one and I have been happy with it. It is my first drysuit, so I can't really compare it to diving any other suits. I went with the rubber boots for some reason (again, my first drysuit) and they are holding up fine, but they have a heel on them. So they fit a little funny in my F1's sometimes. I would absolutely get a pee valve installed what ever suit you get. I have a friend who did not and has a rough time now that we are in doubles and making longer dives :D. The only thing I have done to the suit is add the si-tech wrist and neck seal system just recently. Not a fan of the neck ring, but at least I can change my own seals now if needed.

So overall I am very happy with the HOG drysuit and very happy with the price. Just make sure your measurements are correct. Mine are off a little here and there, but I also did my own measurements so it is my fault for that. I do catch a little trouble because it still sounds a little like a trash bag when walking around. But I am dry and did not spend more than I had to for the suit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom