HOG D3/Zenith vs APEKS DST/XTX50 for doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Getting down into the nitty gritty of this, are there any meaningful differences in materials or design variations in these very similar regs? For example, does one have higher quality seats than the other? Or corrosion resistance long term?

Are the Apeks regs still manufactured in the UK? If so that's a big bonus in my book. I think anyone who has the ability should be willing to pay a little extra for products manufactured in places with decent labor and environmental regulations on factories.

They are still made in UK.

HOG will be more corrosion resistant, but if you actually take care of your regs this shouldn't be anything you'll experience.
DST is a nearly 30 year old design and the HOG D3 has several iterative improvements that @cerich made when he designed it that improve performance, but it is unlikely you'll ever experience it.
Seats are functionally identical and are interchangeable.

When deciding on Apeks vs HOG/Deep6/etc it comes down to the following
Purchase price in your locale-Apeks are grossly overpriced in the US which is what drove companies like HOG/Deep6/etc to be formed in the first place, and for companies like Dive Rite to start selling their own regs.
Availability of service-again, Apeks forbids the sale of parts and service kits to end-users in the US, but is a moot point abroad. The smaller brands though may not have service centers that are willing to service them, so you'll be doing DIY service or sending them off. Since those brands came about with a huge push towards end-user servicing and both actually offer a manufacturer course to become an authorized service technician, that is something you have to look at.
Aesthetics-I MUCH prefer the look of the Deep6 Signature/HOG D3 first stage to the DST, but I MUCH prefer the look of the XTX second stage to the Zenith or Signature second stages, though the Scubapro G260 still wins in my book for modern second stages...

Look at those three, and weigh them based on what is most important to you.
For me, service is number one. I will never own Apeks regulators so long as I am not allowed to buy their parts. I used to, I sold them all. Price is number 2 as I have a LOT of regulators and need a lot of them for the diving that I do so purchase price is a lot more significant when you are looking at $400+ differences on a doubles set when you need a dozen regulators than it is when you need one set. Aesthetics is a tie breaker for me, though I will never own anything in Carolina Blue on principal, and I prefer not to have anything in orange due to rival universities colors.

I've been using an Apeks ATX50 for about 10 years now and its been fantastic. But, I just purchased the HOG D3 Zenith package and find it breathes better than my Apeks. The D3 seems pretty bulletproof and the Zenith is well made. I have been using it on my OTS Spectrum full face mask and it breathes so well I can actually breathe with ease through my nose.

Does it come with one or two or no SPGs at that price? I don't know anyone that has been disappointed by Apeks, I own two DS4s, but I've only seen Tek3s at the price you have.

No SPG's included. For back mount so will only need to buy one, going to call the dive shop and see if they can do a package.

Update.

After some more research, I have found a few more dive shops around my area that will service HOG regulators no worries. I have also come across a HOG D3/Zenith package that includes SPG, hoses etc for the same price (1349).

After some deliberation the value of the HOG's and their perceived similarity to Apeks anyway has won me over. Don't really want to pay for brand.

As such I have proceeded to purchase the HOG's........and also another set to replace my old single tanks set :rofl3:. Ready for a summer of diving.

Anyone have any advice on the difference between a HOG D3 with Zenith second and the Apeks DST (5th port) with xtx50 second?

Can pick up a set of
- HOG regs for $1,300 AUD
- Apeks regs for $1,600 AUD

Wondering if I should bother paying the extra 300 for the Apeks regs. Any advice or better prices in Aus would be great.
Prices seem high but maybe they are higher in Australia? I bought my D3 + Zenith reg set for around $550 USD. Love it by the way. I bought a D2 to use on my pony bottle configuration as it's more compact. The D2's are discontinued so you can buy them now for pretty cheap while they're clearing out the inventory.

Prices seem high but maybe they are higher in Australia? I bought my D3 + Zenith reg set for around $550 USD. Love it by the way. I bought a D2 to use on my pony bottle configuration as it's more compact. The D2's are discontinued so you can buy them now for pretty cheap while they're clearing out the inventory.
The D2's are not discontinued. They've been brought back because of their popularity as stage regs and for use with recreational single tank set ups. They are only available in DIN however.
I'm a HOG reg tech instructor and dealer.

The D2's are not discontinued. They've been brought back because of their popularity as stage regs and for use with recreational single tank set ups. They are only available in DIN however.
I'm a HOG reg tech instructor and dealer.
Oh that's good to know. They aren't back on their web site or in their catalog yet.

Back
Top Bottom