HOG D1 Exhaust cover popped off

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SnorkelLA

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi, during a night dive in Key Largo last week the exhaust diaphragm cover to my HOG D1 second stage must have come off, and I didn't notice it until the next morning, so any chance to go find it on the boat was gone.

It's the slide-on plastic bit that covers the exhaust diaphragm. Where can I get a new one?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342325595.606971.jpg my little predicament

I have a similar problem and have been unable to secure a replacement part. So that second stage sits on my workbench, pining for the ocean.

I dove five or six times without it without issue. I believe the only purpose of the piece missing is to help direct exhalation bubbles away so that they don't intrude your view, also for making service on that diaphragm easier

I will direct this thread to Chris's attention tomorrow. I don't have any replacements on hand. Any idea how it happened? Did someone hit it or drop something on it? I haven't had this happen with any of mine. I know another SB member had his come off but that was after dropping it on a boat deck.

I believe that it got jostled around on a ROCKY boat. I tried removing the one on mine that's working and it seemed pretty solidly in place, I couldn't get it off with just a regular push. Now, I'm sure if I put my mind and matter to it I could push it off. But based on what I saw it would have to be a decently hard knock. It still breathes fine on the surface, but I wouldn't dare try underwater

Also, the piece is placed at such an angle that to knock it of it would have to be a very specific angle of impact and a hard hit to get that kind of force at that kind of angle. I can't recall any one specific moment that I saw it come off. I just noticed it a day or two afterwards from the night dive, because that was the only dive that I didn't really secure it on. I just put it in a corner near where I'd placed my gear.

"I didn't really secure IT on"

"It" being the regulator set

I'm the guy that Jim refers to as dropping the regs. Your photo looks vey familiar :)
Don't worry, they work fine without the cover underwater, even with cracks in the housing too it seems..

As far as I know Chris is the only source for these parts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom