HOG D1, can't unscrew the environmental cap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you remember these

preview.jpg

Can't help myself

So remember kind folks if your regs have any degree of difficulty seizures corrosion or otherwise
and I am sure some of you Apeks afficionados know how tight they are straight from the factory

s-l1600 (2).jpg

Stay right the heck away from these toys, get yourselves a vice and set up right

and one more for those all of us that are really into it fun

and then there's always this

It does you no good immediately, but this is a tool in my toolbox:

View attachment 773952
A bit belated of a post, but that tool is absolutely the thing to have. I tried most everything else (penetrating oil, hot, cold, multiple cycles in the Ultrasonic cleaner). Clamp the first in vice (with a first stage handle), put a pin spanner on the lower section, the tool on the environmental cap, and apply some sharp raps with a hammer. Magic!!

Thanks very much for the link. My only regret is that I didn't use expedited service from Thailand

@rhwestfall and @Jim Lapenta
thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I was having the exact same problem as OP, but with a Dive Rite XT1. I had one of those tools made by a local machine shop (only cost me $20). Put it all together, put the tool in a vice and one tap on the pin spanner with a hammer and the cap broke loose. Happy days!

Here's the tool. They painted it because it's steel and they didn't want it to rust. I don't know why they used what feels like latex and not some metal protection paint, but whatever. I can sand it down and paint it properly later. Thanks for the tip!!

Attachments

• IMG_9247.JPG
    IMG_9247.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 32

Back
Top Bottom