HOG BP2 vs D1 vs Dive Rite RG3100

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mattlavallee

Registered
Reaction score
Looking for a little advice after reading much commentary. I've been diving a SP MK11 for about 4 years, but I'm interested in a reg for the long haul that I can easily get parts for and learn to service. I'm not concerned about micro-scale ease of breathing comparisons or who copied whose design. I'll probably keep the MK11 as a spare set.

I was was originally debating between D1 and RG3100 packages from DRIS and DGE since both are in the $350-400 range, but then I saw a BP2 package at Divers Supply for $270. That seems really tough to beat. Most of my dives are in 50ish degree salt water for now, but I'll be moving soon to areas where I expect warmer temps. I'm good about rinsing/soaking gear after dives. Are there any reasons why a diaphragm would be a better buy?

On a separate note, with the newer regs it looks like Dive Rite is moving away from its more open policy on reg service. Is it likely that parts will remain easily available for older models?

No reason really not to get the piston although my preference would be a diaphragm reg because of its sealed design.
Long term support and availability of parts for the owner/tech....who knows? I expect even if open manufacturer support dries up the usual "backdoor" avenue will still be there.

The two companies which still support much of their back catalogue are Scubapro and USD/Aqualung.
Generic parts are easily and openly available for the piston Scubapro's and most of the USD/AL regs.
A nice used MK5/10 G250 or Titan LX could be another option for you.

A nice used MK5/10 G250 or Titan LX could be another option for you.

I've been looking into this since you mentioned it. Just curious, what makes the earlier Scubapros preferable to the newer ones? Are they better designs, easier to find parts for, more durable etc? Also is there a soup-to-nuts info page on the pros and cons of the different models, changes by year, and links to resources? I've found the diagrams for many regs and comments on specific models buried in the threads in this board, just wondering if there is a centralized info/resource page for the various older regs out there.

The MK5/10 are the earlier design of the current MK25. They all have a huge potential flow rate that exceeds any current diaphragm regulator.....including AL Legend, Apeks FSR and MK17.
In other words they all have a performance potential that far exceeds anything a diver could need.
Not long ago getting parts from Scubapro (and most other manufacturers) was difficult.
VDH now sell service kits for the 5 and 10 and Conshelf/Mares MR12.

There some reg designs that are just classic timeless and had a huge influence on what came after them.
Scubapro MK5
Scubapro 109/156
USD Conshelf
Mares MR12 II/III
Apeks Enviro seal

1+ to Fishpie's excellent post above ^.

One of the attractions to the "old" regulators (I own several now) is that while performing as well as contemporary regulators, they are generally easier to service, quite often have more "metal" in their construction rather than the current trend towards plastic... and they just look cool :wink:

It is hard to see in my avatar picture, but I am using a Scubpro -109 (converted to a "Balanced Adjustable") 2nd stage, mated with a Mares diaphragm 1st stage.... it breathes really well and is a bullet-proof combination.

The older regs are an especially good deal if you are willing to learn how to service them yourself.

Some dive shops will strongly prefer to sell you regulators they have in their showroom, and actively will try to steer you away from perfectly good older regulators, telling you that the new regs perform much better, or that parts are no longer available for the older regs. In some cases they may be telling the truth (Dacor brand regs), and some older regs that pop up on ebay or craigslist were not particularly good even when they were new, but the brands and models that Fishpie listed are great regs, and there is usually no problem finding service parts.

Best wishes.

Thanks for the info, I've been checking out Ebay. I definitely appreciate the list of good old regs to look out for. Although looks shouldn't matter, those metal yoke screws are pretty cool. I got my copy of Harlow's SCUBA Reg Maintenance & Repair in the mail today. Should the older regs be limited to use with low pressure tanks, or can a thicker yoke / DIN assembly be swapped in for use with high pressure?

Comshelf 21 and 22 .... best hose routing and no 1/2" ports
Conshelf SE2 and SE3 .... if you don't mind a single 1/2" port
Conshelf 14 .... for the metal 2nd stage
....all of these have 3-4000psi yokes

The SP Mk5 you want has the heavy 3000psi yoke 5lp and 2hp ports......standard configuration for the MK10.
Mk5's had 3 thickness of yoke, you want the thickest one.
For the SP 2nd stages look for good condition chrome, exhaust T and purge cover.....the latter 2 are not such deal breaker now since VDH has replacements.

What you really want is what I just picked up here:
Scuba Pro Sherwood | eBay

It helped that the seller didn't really list it correctly.
Its a MK10 BA/156 with a USD octo, brass pg and what looks like a flooded depth gauge.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom