Hog Backplate and Harness Pads

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TigerDiver8

Contributor
Reaction score
Ventura County, California, United States
# of dives
500 - 999
I have sent out a few emails already but would like to ask around here as well. I am looking for a backplate pad and shoulder harness for a HOG SS backplate and shoulder harness for two inch webbing.

I have seen the basic shoulder harness which is not what I am interested.
Dive Rite Harness Shoulder Pad Set For 2in Web

I like the Halcyon pad set but the back pad doesnt fit on the HOG backplate
Deluxe Harness Pads - Dive Right in Scuba

It is hard to find a should pad set that is sold by itself.

I have emailed a HOG dealer to see if a set exists, but if it does not I would like some input.

I have seen a hog backplate pad (with the hog logo) for sale at Divers Supply. I have only seen the basic shoulder pads that you have listed above though.

I have sent out a few emails already but would like to ask around here as well. I am looking for a backplate pad and shoulder harness for a HOG SS backplate and shoulder harness for two inch webbing.

I have emailed a HOG dealer to see if a set exists, but if it does not I would like some input.

Why do you think you'll need them? I have a HOG SS backplate with a 1-piece harness, and have dived wearing a drysuit, a 3 mm wetsuit and a rash guard. All three were quite comfortable.

Reactions: BB`

The DR should pads you listed is nothing more than 2" neoprene sleeve. DR also use it on their crotch strap. You need to unthread your harness to put in on. It does work but I just don't know how much difference it will make.

The Halcyon shoulder pads can be install without taking off the harness. You install them under the strap, the upper side if the webbing is still expose. The material is quote soft and supple. Between the two, Halcyon's is far better. But I am not sure the price is warranted.

What I tell pretty much anybody looking for padding for a BP&W:

Buy a youth wetsuit on Ebay. Lots of them for sale for $15, little Johnny out grew it.

Cut off the arms. Bingo, pads for 2 inch webbing

Trace your back plate on the remaining suit and cut out a piece the shape of your plate. Zip tie in place.

That way after you discover after 2-3 dives that you don't need any pads and cut them off you've only spent $15…….

Tobin

Why do you think you'll need them? I have a HOG SS backplate with a 1-piece harness, and have dived wearing a drysuit, a 3 mm wetsuit and a rash guard. All three were quite comfortable.

My W1 5mm wetsuit is starting to show grooves where the webbing is cutting into the suit. I was hoping the shoulder pads would help eliminate that anmd lengthen the life of my suit. I dont care to much about the backplate pad, just assumed it all came in a set.

I would like something more heavy duty then the dive rite sleeves.

The halcyon one is what I am looking for but it only comes with the back pad as a set and it doesnt fit on a HOG backplate. And yes I think it is over priced.

My W1 5mm wetsuit is starting to show grooves where the webbing is cutting into the suit. I was hoping the shoulder pads would help eliminate that anmd lengthen the life of my suit. I dont care to much about the backplate pad, just assumed it all came in a set.

It sounds like you might have your shoulder straps too tight. I've over 250 dives with a single piece webbing harness on my compressed neoprene drysuit, and no marks from the straps.

He shoulder straps should be loose enough that you can get three fingers between them and your suit. The harness is held in place by the waist and crotch straps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have the pads from a hollis elite 2 harness you can have for free if you pay shipping. Never used. I took them off the day I got the harness.

Reactions: RJP
It sounds like you might have your shoulder straps too tight. I've over 250 dives with a single piece webbing harness on my compressed neoprene drysuit, and no marks from the straps.

Same here. ~1,000 dives on two different suits; boat dives, shore dives, etc. Roughly half of those dives are with double steel 119, 1-2 additional bottles, multiple reels, large can light, etc. I've got a lot of weight/pull on those shoulder straps. Up and down hopping ladders, steep hills, etc. Not a mark on either of the suits.

Unless someone is hiking miles in their rig... with a recreational diver using a standard single-tank rig I can't see how there could be enough force on the straps to create a problem. Certainly should not pose an issue in the water.

It's either that the straps are too tight... or a quality issue on the wetsuit front.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom