Hmm, eh, new rules in CZM about traveling with MJ

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with the others re: interntional travel risks and buying it locally if you must. I'd be very careful using MJ legal or not. Maybe the law applies only to Mexican citizens? People have difficulty even with crossing state lines getting caught with medical MJ. I'd be very careful doing anything to put yourself at risk with Mexican authorities. A drug sniffing dog at the airport is not going to end well. At best you may be detained for several hours, at worst....?

If you do this please leave a note at the hotel you're staying at saying it's ok for me to pick up your dive gear for you while you sitting in jail, awaiting for some judge to determine the outcome of your case.

Given the trouble people face carrying legal batteries into and out of Mexico I'd suggest it's unprofitable hassle to try to bring MJ even if it is technically legal (I'm not informed). The trickle down to the individual agents can take time.

There's not many travellers I meet who smuggle (or legally transport) their own drugs (MJ included) , considering how easily accessible they are in most parts of Mexico.

Regards,
Cameron

I don't see anyone here scolding you about the pros and cons of MJ use. Just that it is probably not a great idea to try and bring it into Mexico.

Google is your friend. I found a bunch of articles.Here are a couple. Mexico is writing rules for medical marijuana

Legal Pot In Mexico: Everything You Need to Know

Note that while a law approving medical marijuana was passed (for certain products with a VERY low amount of THC), REGULATIONS HAVE NOT BEEN WRITTEN OR APPROVED. According to these articles, those are expected in December or January (in my personal experience, things never happen when anyone says they will). The articles also reference the comments by the former president that I recalled...they referenced pot legalization as opposed to medical marijuana. I don't use it so the news story didn't get my undivided attention.

If you want to bring yours into Mexico to try and make a point, knock yourself out.

We appreciate all the very helpful advice from what we can only assume are narc'd divers (pun intended). If the board participants cannot provide useful information, the forum becomes irrelevant.

Please remember that as of Jan 1, over 1/2 the population of the USA will have access to legal weed. Move with the times or end up stuck looking like a Weinstein.

And BTW: yes, Mexico decriminalized personal use pot possession by law in 2009, and medical marijuana in June 2017.

And when any of you want to get into a deep argument about MJ, just remember that the #1 non-addictive prescription therapy for PTSD for all those heroic soldiers, sailors and airmen you all idolize is MJ, but the federal gov't wants to keep it from us veterans.

Last edited:
FWIW, I do not believe that it is bad or irrelevant advice that trying to bring MJ across international borders isn't a good idea no matter what your position on pot is.
What the OP really means is if what he reads on the internet is not what he wants to hear, then it is irrelevant. He is looking for confirmation, not information, it seems. I'm sorry he needs medical MJ, but perhaps that means he should avoid going to Mexico.

My friend...have you ever actually seen a Mexican jail?

Yeah, it’s really not worth the gamble. Too many unknowns since legalization is so recent.

Yeah, it’s really not worth the gamble. Too many unknowns since legalization is so recent.
Legislation without regulations (a whole other process which adds specifics, fines, enforcement, whatever) is meaningless.

No matter what the laws are in your State, It is still federally Illegal. Flying with it would be unadvisable. Crossing a International Border with it, just plain stupid.

Isn't it still a big 'no-no' to dive under the influence of alcohol/drugs in any case ? Last I heard, pot smoking and diving are frowned upon.

Back
Top Bottom