Hit the Right Inflator Button - Save a Life

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sailingk8

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Taking a Rescue coarse it occurred to me that a big part of the rescue is inflating someone else's BCD. Knowing which button to push saves seconds. So my question is: with all the different types of inflators out there how do you garuntee hitting the right button the first time to inflate someone else's BCD in a rescue?

I wouldn`t be able to guarantee that it doesn`t exist something diferent, but since 1986 diving I never saw a BC (or wing) with a diferent button arrangement, that is a standard, the side button is always the inflator and the one in the very end is the release (or oral inflator). This way, in my opinion, there should not be a problem to hit the correct button, it will be the same you would hit in your own equipment.

Round button, on the side, nearest to the mouth piece. I believe this is always true but, if not, someone here will add more info.

I'm guessing you've come across some integrated seconds on the inflator assembly (Air 2, Air Source, and the like) where the end of the controls is actually a purge for the second stage. The deflate/inflate buttons do assume slightly different shapes and postions in these rigs.

Getting familiar with your buddy's gear should be a routine before every dive, and that includes inflate/deflate operation.

In the case of a third party, you'll take a few seconds trying to make contact, a few more assessing the diver's condition and gear, maybe a few more surveying the scene for clues as to what happened. Don't rush. Think each step through. Plan how you're going to get to the surface and stay in control.

But this should be covered by the end of your course.

-Bryan

Octo/inflators don't have an end button nor does my Scubapro BPI!!! But these all have one button aligned with the LPI hose that does inflation. And then there is the Aqualung elevator lever.:confused:

Getting familiar with your buddy's gear should be a routine before every dive, and that includes inflate/deflate operation.

This can't be said enough. A comprehensive inspection and familiarization with your buddy's gear (and that of others diving with you, if necessary) is the cure for uncertainty. Then insure your buddy knows your gear as well. Good luck with your class.

Taking a Rescue coarse it occurred to me that a big part of the rescue is inflating someone else's BCD. Knowing which button to push saves seconds. So my question is: with all the different types of inflators out there how do you garuntee hitting the right button the first time to inflate someone else's BCD in a rescue?

I think you'll generally find the inflate button close to where the low pressure inflator hose attaches to the inflator. I personally can't think of an exception to this at the moment, but that doesnt mean there isnt one.

Hi sailingk8:

There is no guarantee that you will hit the right button when it is needed. That is why, even when diving regularly and with your own equipment, that you use the controls sparingly. No one should ever push and hold a button with the expectation that it will function the way that one wants. At depth that could lead to an uncontrolled buoyant ascent; on the surface that could lead to those precious seconds spent bringing your victim to the surface being negated by decreasing any buoyancy and thus control you may have had for your victim. Neither are good.

This is why buddie checks are so important before diving- to become familiar with your partners equipment and configuration. Weight belt quick releases, inflation means, how fins come off, BCD or BP/W removal, etc. Look at all of the inflators you are around when diving or in a shop and maybe ask the owners to explain what what does if you are unfamiliar with an inflator type. Also remember, rather than using that button, try oral inflation! Of course, better tried in practice before an emergency. Depending on your teachings, protocol, or situation, you could always ditch the victim's weight belt to give them more buoyancy if needed. Just a few suggestions.

And finally, in EMS there is a saying: really- it's minutes that count, not seconds. :D

With kind regards from North Carolina,
Thomas

I concur regarding your buddy's gear - really check it out - how does it work not just is it fastened. I brought up this same question in class with a pool full of different inflators and the conclusion we came to was that there is no real industry standard. My concern here isn't my Buddy's inflator but some other diver I may one day be called upon to help. I like the statement that the inflator is most like likely the button closest to the hose. I can live with that for now. I hope my Newbie question makes everyone at least think about it. I'm sure I'll come up with more crazy questions. I am after all Blonde! ...Australian and Blonde, that makes me a little out there! :lol:

Kate, keep asking questions. And dive, of course.

You must be doing something right. You're doing the rescue course, and you've already got more SB friends than I managed after six years on this board. :D

-Bryan

Back
Top Bottom