History of perforated eardrum and trouble equalizing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

About ear plugs,.Docs Pro Plugs are the only ones I know of which are suitable for diving. These silicone earplugs have a small vent hole. The plug will flex into the outer ear canal and at about 20 ft./6-7 metres, a drop of water will overcome the surface tension of the water over vent hole and will enter the ear canal space behind the plug. These plugs prevent the outer ear canal from being fully flooded with water. They especially prevent the sloshing effect one can get as surface waves slap aginst one's ear.

If one has a perforated eardrum, one could probably equalize against the plug and perhaps avoid any water entering the space behind the earplug. Personally I use a ProEar Mask from IST. This mask has cups which completely cover one's ears. They are pressurized/equalized via tubes which connect to the user's face mask. The user exhales through the mask occasionally to maintain equal pressure and dry ears. They work so well, my over the ear hearing aid survived a dive off Socorro last week when I inadvertently forgot to put it away......oops.

The user exhales through the mask occasionally to maintain equal pressure and dry ears
I just started using the Proear mask and really like it for keeping my ears dry. However, It hasn’t really helped me equalize.

gert7to3, when wearing the Proear mask, do you still need to do traditional equalization techniques (I.e. valsalva, or frenzel) or is blowing out through your nose In the mask enough to equalize when you descend?

I just started using the Proear mask and really like it for keeping my ears dry. However, It hasn’t really helped me equalize.

gert7to3, when wearing the Proear mask, do you still need to do traditional equalization techniques (I.e. valsalva, or frenzel) or is blowing out through your nose In the mask enough to equalize when you descend?
Sorry, I am out of town and missed your question. Yes, all of your equalization techniques will still be needed to equalize. Only difference is that you will need to occasionally need to exhale through your mask to keep the ear chambers equalized.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom