History meets divers November 4 LCRA event

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubashawn123

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I don't want to spill all the fun. But if you dive Lake Travis and want to see the Dam Construction LCRA archivists and local divers will be getting a great presentation with lots of black and white high resolution pictures of the history and objects we find underwater.

More to come as the event gets finalized.

:shakehead:

I have a topographical map we picked up from the LCRA archivists of 1930 before the Dam Construction showing heights and the Little Colorado River as a reference.

Hi Resolution scan is 17 MB. Low resolution that you can still read details is 4 MB and emailable but not postable on scubaboard.

Email me at shawntv@austin.rr.com if you would like me to email a copy to you.

Definitely looks like an interesting presentation!

For just an idea of the type of material you will be seeing, Flickr: LCRA Corporate Archives' Photostream. As it stands right now, the focus will be on the remaining sites from the late 1930's to 1940's associated with the construction of Mansfield Dam.

I am talking with the archivist about getting all attendees a copy of the photos and maps used in the presentation on a CD or Flashdrive.

For just an idea of the type of material you will be seeing, Flickr: LCRA Corporate Archives' Photostream. As it stands right now, the focus will be on the remaining sites from the late 1930's to 1940's associated with the construction of Mansfield Dam.

I am talking with the archivist about getting all attendees a copy of the photos and maps used in the presentation on a CD or Flashdrive.

Thank you Jeff for all your research and enthusiasm to get this going for local divers in Austin. I appreciate your lead and efforts to get us access to this historical material, maps and pictures to know what I am climbing on under the water at Lake Travis. The Dam construction history is amazing and very enjoyable. Great Job. I look forward to the presentation November 4th.

:D

I have another meeting at LCRA tomorrow with the archivist and the staff archeologist, Dan Pikryl. A lot more of the details should be nailed down at the meeting.

Jean emailed me a copy of the flier that will, hopefully, be handed out at the Lake Travis Cleanup this Sunday. Very nice work and I will make sure that copies are placed in all the local dive shops.

We did something similar in the early 80s within the J. Rich Sports Dive club. The presentation was to the club, but we did not have access to all the pics that are out on the internet now.
We are having a J. Rich Divers reunion this coming weekend, so I will let a few of those know about the presentation that were in on the research back then.
Looking forward to the presentation.

I have another meeting at LCRA tomorrow with the archivist and the staff archeologist, Dan Pikryl. A lot more of the details should be nailed down at the meeting.

I look forward to more info. Sounds like an event well worth the trip.

Willie

I look forward to more info. Sounds like an event well worth the trip.

Willie

Willie, I hope that it will be worth the trip. The LCRA archives have very high quality photos of the dam and related sites from 1937 through its completion. Right now I have several targets identified and will be diving them to get current photos so we can relate them to the archive's photos. Not an exhaustive survey, just a demonstration on using an archive in dive planning.

Back
Top Bottom