• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Historic Logos, Decals, and Patches

Discussion in 'History of Scuba Diving: Tales from the Abyss' started by Akimbo, Jun 13, 2017.

1. NothingClever

NothingClever ScubaBoard Sponsor ScubaBoard Sponsor

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Thank you all for posting. The unit patches and commercial brand images are captivating.

Boston Breakwater likes this.
  2. sageGrouse

sageGrouse Angel Fish

Late to the party, and not strictly diving related, but they do tie in to the Trieste whose patch is in the first post. These are two stickers, a patch, a pin back button, and an aluminum plate that was probably attached to products, all from Hydro Products, which was originally OEC. These would be from the 1960's and 70's (possibly the early 1980's for the RCV sticker).

hydro-00vs.jpg

3. Sam Miller III

Sam Miller III Scuba Legend Scuba Legend

# of Dives: 5,000 - ∞
  4. David Wilson

David Wilson Loggerhead Turtle

GSD_patch.jpg
    Patch currently at SCUBA Diving Italy GSD Regulator Patch Founders Gatti, Stradella & Danielle Imme | eBay for the Italian diving equipment company GSD, which operated from the late 1960s in Avegno and Recco (Genoa) and derived its name from the three founders Gatti, Stradella and Daniele. Gatti was Fernando Gatti, while Daniele was Giuliano Daniele. Which Stradella was the third founder I have not been able to determine, however, because three of them - Fabio, Giuseppe and Umberto - contributed to the Italian diving equipment businesses Tigullio and/or its offshoot enterprise GSD. Unless anybody knows the definitive answer to this riddle. Tantalisingly, the 1969 GSD advertisement below expands the company's name otherwise:
    general_sub_division_Samoa_69-10_2.jpg
    http://www.bibliotecadiunapneista.it/attrezzature/general_sub_division_Samoa_69-10_2.jpg
    According to this source, "GSD" may stand for "General Sub Division". A bit of an anticlimax, but at least GSD Samoa fins were comfortable and efficient assets to underwater swimming and I have a pair in my collection. The little tag at the fin tip is embossed with the adjective "galleggiante", Italian for "floating".

5. Bigbella

Bigbella ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    IMG_2146.JPG IMG_2145.JPG While this doesn't quite qualify as patches, per se, it does satisfy the historical logo aspect of the thread; so, here is the original box in which my Poseidon Cyklon 300 arrived, circa 1976. The interior was thin, brittle plastic with some sort of red Christmas tree flocking from beyond, that has survived more than forty years.

Poseidon then went to shipping in nice regulator bags for a few decades, of one form or another; and now ship their gear in peckerwood cardboard boxes, along with a swift kick in the ass . . .

6. Avonthediver

Avonthediver Solo Diver

Mr. Sam how are you sir! I bought some skin diver mags off you many years ago and had great conversations.

Dark Wolf likes this.
  7. David Wilson

Thanks for the great images, Bigbella. Packaging can sometimes be just as interesting as its contents, providing valuable leads for the diving equipment historian. I love the old cardboard boxes in which oval diving masks were sold, not least because they were often illustrated with pictures of other products made by the same manufacturer, e.g. the vintage Hungarian mask carton below:
    maskbox1-png.450217.png

And finally, here's a logo I found online for the Swedish diving equipment company Poseidon:
    17796794_10154495817896705_7553744421117201274_n.png

8. Bigbella

Bigbella ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

Here is an old print ad from the late 1970s, promoting the Poseidon 300 -- a model which still sees use today . . .

IMG_2157.JPG

9. David Wilson

10. Akimbo

Akimbo Lift to Freedom Volunteer Staff Member ScubaBoard Supporter

Speaking of cool, how about posting a larger version of your Avatar (UPS or Underwater Photographic Society logo). I think I still have an ancient UPS sweatshirt... I doubt it fits quite as well as when I got it though. :)

Boston Breakwater likes this.