His and Hers Complete Builds

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mr.Jeff

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
We got OW certified last year and then went honeymooning at Sandals in Jamaica in September. I know I haven't been a diver for very long, but 14 dives in a week will get anyone comfortable with basic skills. We are planning on furthering our certifications. Aside from the stuff you need for the OW class, we need 2 of everything. We'll mostly be diving offshore in 70+ degree water. The river divers report less than 10 feet of visibility. They always come back with huge shark teeth, so we'll go atleast once.

I've been thinking about a BP/W, so I posted in the regional forum to hopefully see a rig in person. I hope to be diving without weights with some careful gear choices. She wants a normal jacket style BCD with integrated weights - one for the ladys. Obviously fit is going to come in to play there. I would like to try a combo octopus/inflator if we can work it in. We can afford about a grand per person. Hopefully that will get us atleast decently suited up.

I want to buy anything I can from the LDS. Here is their brand list.. Brands - Charleston Scuba - Full Service PADI 5-Star IDC. They are helpful enough with pricing and are worth supporting.

Everyone can see the successful brands and assume that brand produces a decent product and then buy the item they can afford. Being that we're in the position that we are in, I can't place value on individual items and then compare that value to a different item in the build. I can't say that getting a little cheaper BCD and putting a little more towards a better reg is the best way to go.

Since you will be buying two sets of gear from the LDS, I am sure they will be happy to give you a price break. Plus, you will be fitted properly for the gear you chose. I haven't looked at the link yet, but my gear is Scubapro. I dive with the Ladyhawk which is back inflator and fits very nicely. The only down side is there is only one drop down pocket. The Bella is a jacket BCD for ladies. My friend is an instructor and uses that kind. Generous pockets and good fit.

Obviously if you can try several kits before you buy one that would be beneficial. I don't necessarily think you need to charge into new equipment at the 0-24 dive level. Rent for a while, buy used, do your homework. Do what you can to make good decisions and avoid buying more than once.

The brands listed at your LDS are certainly reputable (and reputably among the most expensive). There are a lot of options out there... prioritize your needs accordingly (most expensive != best, almost ever)

You will be looking at the Dive Rite gear and she should look into either Aqualung or ScubaPro for bc's; whatever fits and whichever she likes. I'd get ScubaPro or Aqualung regs out of those brand choices; moreover, out of any brand choices. We have gear in all three of those brands and it's all top shelf. Don't let them talk you into any other wing then the Travel Wing though for your chosen temp range. Wetsuits...ya'll will just have to try on. The Henderson's they carry are nice. I have one and like it a lot but I bet both Aqualung and ScubaPro have nice ones too; I've just never worn either. Y'all have fun with all your new stuff.

Why do you want to dive "without weights"? It's generally a good idea for a novice to have ditchable weight.

Why are you considering switching over to a combo-style octo/inflater? Such octo/inflaters can make managing an air-sharing ascent with another diver more complicated.

The first thing I'd get is an exposure suit appropriate for water temps you'll be diving locally. Just make sure that whatever you get fits. Your local shop should definitely be able to help out with that.

When it comes to regs, it makes sense to go with a reliable, middle-of-the-line model that the best local reg tech can work on. Reg performance has a great deal to do with the skill of the reg tech who last tuned/serviced it. I see that your LDS is a dealer for both Aqualung and Scubapro. Those companies make excellent regs -- even their low-end ones are good. Be prepared for the in-store "up-sell" to a high-end reg. If you go with an Aqualung setup, I would recommend that you not purchase the low-end ABS octo. I own one, and I never really liked it. It would be much better to just get an additional 2nd stage similar to your primary. FWIW, the Titan and Titan LX are nice regs. I own and like the Aqualung Legend. While the Legend performs as well as my Apeks regs, I prefer the Apeks ones for ease of DIY servicing. I never really liked the way that Aqualung and Scubapro dictated when their regs needed to be overhauled. Now I don't have to bother with the guidelines...I service them when they need it. Make sure you ask how much it will cost to service the regs. I believe Scubapro changed its policy on the free-overhaul-parts-for-life program earlier this year.

You can certainly choose to buy a BP/W or other BCD at your LDS. However, I purchased my BP/W online and got something that I've been very happy with. I highly recommend taking a look at a Deep Sea Supply rig.

The Suunto Zoop is a solid, nitrox-capable dive computer that is relatively inexpensive (I've seen the wrist-version on sale here in San Diego for a little over $200). It's easy to read and easy to use. Dive profiles can be downloaded from the computer if you purchase an overpriced Suunto cable. It has a user-replaceable battery. It can be mounted in a console or worn on the wrist. Simply put, it has everything a recreational diver needs.

It's OK to shop around or wait for a sale. Locally, we have "tent" sales twice a year that always offer up good deals. Perhaps dive shops in your area do something similar. If there's another Aqualung/Scubapro dealer nearby, it might make sense to comparison-shop and play their prices off of one another to get the best deal.

Another option is to save a bunch of money by buying your gear second-hand. Your first set of "used" gear will become your backup set when you decide to upgrade several years down the road.

In terms of prioritizing your purchases, personally I'd buy gear in the following order: wetsuit, BCD, reg, computer, tank(s). The wetsuit should be purchased first since it's important to have something that fits (and rental suits don't always fit great). It's also important to have a BCD that fits well. Some people would place regs at the highest level of priority. After all, if you own your reg, you are aware of its service/performance history, right? I contend that a diver should be able to do comprehensive functional tests on rental regs and have a great deal of confidence that the regs will work properly on the upcoming dive. A computer isn't really necessary but it does make certain aspects of recreational diving more convenient. Every diver needs a tank, but for some, renting a tank might make sense. You can save a great deal of money by purchasing used tanks in good condition. My favorite tank for the local diving I do here in San Diego is a HP100 steel.

Hope this helps...

Obviously if you can try several kits before you buy one that would be beneficial. I don't necessarily think you need to charge into new equipment at the 0-24 dive level. Rent for a while, buy used, do your homework. Do what you can to make good decisions and avoid buying more than once.

The brands listed at your LDS are certainly reputable (and reputably among the most expensive). There are a lot of options out there... prioritize your needs accordingly (most expensive != best, almost ever)

All of the rental gear is the same... The wet suits are different and the BCDs come in black and x colors. It was all better than the resort gear, but that is just because it's newer.

The prioritizing funds is what I'm asking for help with.

All of the rental gear is the same... The wet suits are different and the BCDs come in black and x colors. It was all better than the resort gear, but that is just because it's newer.

The prioritizing funds is what I'm asking for help with.

Got it. Well, if it were me doing it again, I'd buy the exposure gear that I'll need as well as a good mask that fits and the wrist-mounted computer that I'd want to dive with. After that I'd try to use as many BP/Wing & Tank combos as I could get my hands on. Wing shape matters, steel vs. aluminum matters, STA v. no STA matters, etc. Regulators are a good investment, but again, I'd try as many as I could to decide what I wanted.

And like I said above - for your first kit, I'd buy everything used because odds are you're going to swap it out eventually anyway.

Why do you want to dive "without weights"? It's generally a good idea for a novice to have ditchable weight.

I understand the caution people share with new divers about ditchable weights, but the truth is that dropping 8lbs from anywhere above your waist doesn't make a difference to sprinting leg muscles.

Why are you considering switching over to a combo-style octo/inflater? Such octo/inflaters can make managing an air-sharing ascent with another diver more complicated.

Other than the obvious answer, when there's something controversial and one has to buy 2 anyway, it seems like a waste not to get both.

The first thing I'd get is an exposure suit appropriate for water temps you'll be diving locally. Just make sure that whatever you get fits. Your local shop should definitely be able to help out with that.

When it comes to regs, it makes sense to go with a reliable, middle-of-the-line model that the best local reg tech can work on. Reg performance has a great deal to do with the skill of the reg tech who last tuned/serviced it. I see that your LDS is a dealer for both Aqualung and Scubapro. Those companies make excellent regs -- even their low-end ones are good. Be prepared for the in-store "up-sell" to a high-end reg. If you go with an Aqualung setup, I would recommend that you not purchase the low-end ABS octo. I own one, and I never really liked it. It would be much better to just get an additional 2nd stage similar to your primary. FWIW, the Titan and Titan LX are nice regs. I own and like the Aqualung Legend. While the Legend performs as well as my Apeks regs, I prefer the Apeks ones for ease of DIY servicing. I never really liked the way that Aqualung and Scubapro dictated when their regs needed to be overhauled. Now I don't have to bother with the guidelines...I service them when they need it. Make sure you ask how much it will cost to service the regs. I believe Scubapro changed its policy on the free-overhaul-parts-for-life program earlier this year.

I'm going to wait on the wetsuits. They fit ok and figuring out what thickness wetsuit is probably the only thing we can learn from renting. On the Scubapro product support page it still says free reg parts for life. From some research, people stated higher priced regs were lighter and performed better in cold water. Something midgrade sounds perfect.

You can certainly choose to buy a BP/W or other BCD at your LDS. However, I purchased my BP/W online and got something that I've been very happy with. I highly recommend taking a look at a Deep Sea Supply rig.

Not everyone sells everything. If I only have to buy the BP/W from somewhere else because they didn't carry it, I wouldn't feel bad.

The Suunto Zoop is a solid, nitrox-capable dive computer that is relatively inexpensive (I've seen the wrist-version on sale here in San Diego for a little over $200). It's easy to read and easy to use. Dive profiles can be downloaded from the computer if you purchase an overpriced Suunto cable. It has a user-replaceable battery. It can be mounted in a console or worn on the wrist. Simply put, it has everything a recreational diver needs.

For computers I think I'd rather have a console than a mix. I don't think having a wrist mounted computer will make it any more useful without being air integrated. I might be wrong. Nixtrox capable is something I want though.

It's OK to shop around or wait for a sale. Locally, we have "tent" sales twice a year that always offer up good deals. Perhaps dive shops in your area do something similar. If there's another Aqualung/Scubapro dealer nearby, it might make sense to comparison-shop and play their prices off of one another to get the best deal.

We have 1 local shop and they have been giving me discounts since I walked in the door. Being that I need 2 of everything, they're very helpful. The only way to get much better of a deal from a local store is if there is a manufacturer discount/rebate.

Another option is to save a bunch of money by buying your gear second-hand. Your first set of "used" gear will become your backup set when you decide to upgrade several years down the road.

I thought about buying used. Maybe when it comes time for tanks..

In terms of prioritizing your purchases, personally I'd buy gear in the following order: wetsuit, BCD, reg, computer, tank(s). The wetsuit should be purchased first since it's important to have something that fits (and rental suits don't always fit great). It's also important to have a BCD that fits well. Some people would place regs at the highest level of priority. After all, if you own your reg, you are aware of its service/performance history, right? I contend that a diver should be able to do comprehensive functional tests on rental regs and have a great deal of confidence that the regs will work properly on the upcoming dive. A computer isn't really necessary but it does make certain aspects of recreational diving more convenient. Every diver needs a tank, but for some, renting a tank might make sense. You can save a great deal of money by purchasing used tanks in good condition. My favorite tank for the local diving I do here in San Diego is a HP100 steel.

Hope this helps...

It is helpful. Thanks.

I would second looking at Deep Sea Supply, for several reasons. They make good gear, and their customer service is superb -- but most of all, if you talk to Tobin, the owner, he will make sure you buy the combination of plate and wing that will work for YOUR diving. He can be positively annoying about it :)

I'm with Bubbletrubble about buying a middle-of-the-road reg. We bought Titans as new divers, and have never regretted it. There are other options for regs out there that I think are just as good or perhaps even better value-for-money, but your LDS doesn't carry them.

Good exposure protection is the difference between a good dive and a so-so dive, or worse. Wetsuits HAVE to fit, and fit well; if they don't minimize water flow through the suit, you will not be warm, no matter how thick they are. Most shops only carry one or two brands, and often don't have a wide spectrum of suits to try on, as far as sizes and shapes go. And many shops have the annoying habit of insisting you pay for special order items in advance, and often without refund. If your shop is like that, then unless they have a suit that fits like a glove, you might be better off ordering on line and returning suits that don't work.

Your wife ought to try a backplate . . . I don't know what her objection to them is, but for women, they are wonderful, because they are so adjustable. And not having a chest strap makes it more comfortable, too. As a busty woman, I know this :)

I understand the caution people share with new divers about ditchable weights, but the truth is that dropping 8lbs from anywhere above your waist doesn't make a difference to sprinting leg muscles.
I don't think I understand what you are saying about "sprinting leg muscles" here. Ditching 8 lbs. in an emergency is an effective way of establishing positive buoyancy immediately at the surface. Novices lack the experience (and often times the judgment) to react appropriately in certain situations. From an emergency responder's point of view, once a novice diver has "gotten in over his head," ditching the novice's weightbelt or weight-integrated pockets might be the most obvious path to a good outcome.
Other than the obvious answer, when there's something controversial and one has to buy 2 anyway, it seems like a waste not to get both.
There can be a false economy in going with a tool that has two different functions. That being said, combo octo/inflaters can be used safely, but it takes practice. Unfortunately, very few recreational divers ever practice air-sharing or air-sharing ascent drills regularly. Regardless of what gear you end up with make sure you practice with it.
On the Scubapro product support page it still says free reg parts for life. From some research, people stated higher priced regs were lighter and performed better in cold water. Something midgrade sounds perfect.
I think that Scubapro only offers free-reg-parts-for-life when the reg is bought as part of a bundle of Scubapro gear (including BCD and computer). I may be wrong about this, but it's worth clarifying before buying anything.

FWIW, I think that salesmen working on commission have a tendency to exaggerate the performance difference between middle-of-the-line regs and high-end regs, particularly when they stand to make a larger commission on the high-end regs. Caveat emptor.
For computers I think I'd rather have a console than a mix. I don't think having a wrist mounted computer will make it any more useful without being air integrated. I might be wrong. Nixtrox capable is something I want though.
Join a local dive club and go diving with more experienced divers. It's a great way to expand your circle of dive buddies. More dive buddies = more opinions on gear = more opportunities to borrow gear for a test-dive. I recommend trying out a wrist-mounted, non-integrated dive computer. You might be surprised by how much more "natural" it feels vs. using a console. In the end, however, it all comes down to personal preference. I have some experienced dive buddies who love wrist computers and other dive buddies who have a strong preference for console computers. The trick is figuring out which configuration works best for you.
We have 1 local shop and they have been giving me discounts since I walked in the door. Being that I need 2 of everything, they're very helpful. The only way to get much better of a deal from a local store is if there is a manufacturer discount/rebate.
Since you are working on a budget ($1000/diver), it still might be worthwhile to compare prices with some of the well-known online retailers: Dive Gear Express, Scubatoys, Dive Right in Scuba, Leisurepro, etc. It's great that your local shop is treating you like a valued customer. That's uncommon nowadays.

Back
Top Bottom