Hints for packing for first liveaboard trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In general 50% of what ever you think you are going to need.

Assuming you are going to maximize your diving you will be spending the majority of your time wet.

For a seven day trip I have taken: 4 Shirts, three rash guards, three bathing suits, two pairs of short pants. I wore my flip-flops from home to the airport and then back to home and while on the boat was barefoot. If you are going during the summer you will not need any long clothing but if during the fall or spring you might want a sweatshirt and sweatpants. Toiletries, Equipment and documentation are standard.

If you are not Nitrox certified Consider taking the course either before or on the boat. Make sure you're well covered for exposure protection as 4 to 5 dives per day will take a toll on your body core temperature.

Pack all of the above in a soft collapsible bag.

In addition take some reading material, any medications you think you are likely to need, I always have somebody looking enviously at my Lycra socks when their feet start to get beaten up by their fins.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Do bring a backup dive computer and dive with it from the start so that you don't miss dives from computer crash/ battery issues.
extensive save a dive kit- mask straps,fin straps,o- rings,dive light batteries, basically spare fix- its for any kit that can break. You can't go to the dive shop to fix things.
Warm set of sweats,depending on where your going, and plenty of casual t-shirts/shorts.
Bug spray, sun screen.

I'd recommend some sturdy sandals (such as Keens) that provide toe protection, support and a bit of traction. No shortage of hard, slippery surfaces on a boat and chances of banging up your feet in flip flops or bare feet are high, IMO. Sandals also good for shore excursions. But packing light and with gear appropriate for anticipated conditions gets two key issues off the table.

I'd recommend some sturdy sandals (such as Keens) that provide toe protection, support and a bit of traction. No shortage of hard, slippery surfaces on a boat

To be truthful, on the two liveaboard that I have been on, footwear was placed in a basket at the beginning of the trip and not retrieved until the last day. No one on either trip wore footwear.

Naturally choice of footwear does depend on whether land tours are anticipated.

Been on 15 liveaboard trips, the best way to dive!

In general, on a liveaboard trip you need less than what you do for a land based diving holiday. but of course, you must consider what you plan to do on land - if anything - before and after the cruise.

On a liveaboard, people are barefoot most of the time and so if you plan on wearing a pair of sandals or light shoes on the flight, you need no other footwear.

Keep a couple of swimming trunks, a couple of waterproof shorts that you can wear over them if necessary and 4 T-shirts. Enough underwear of course.

Towels ARE supplied and so do not take any.

Keep a pair of decent shorts and a 'holiday shirt' for any land based get-togethers on the penultimate evening when there will be no diving.

Personal toiletries as required.

And oh, don't forget the diving gear in all the excitement.

I stayed on a liveaboard that had a/c. It got a tad chilly inside. Pajama bottoms and a long-sleeved T-shirt kept me comfortable
Some liveaboards are pretty fancy and offer options like TVs and media players in-room, so a flash drive is handy -- you may have the option to copy media from the boat's computer and enjoy in-room entertainment.

What liveaboard are you going on? There will be some different suggestions for a Blackbeards cruise, vs. something like an Aggressor.

Definitely take Dramamine or an equivalent. Even if you are not predisposed to seasickness you might be unpleasantly surprised. Depending on how far you need to travel at night, crossings between Islands can be rough.

I never get seasick however on a recent trip had a lower cabin mid boat and felt every wave. Thankfully I had Dramamine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom