Hilton Head, SC Jan 22-24

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jersey

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was just informed the 'working meeting' in HH next week has rapidly turned into a golf tournament. As the only non-golfer in the group, I'm pretty much free for 3 days. There will be some attempts at business over beers AFTER golf. I will be staying at the Hilton Palmetto Dunes which I think is about mid-island.

My question - is there any diving/dive boats accessible from Hilton Head? I searched for other posts re: HH & found references to driving into Charleston or over to the Cooper River to dive, but was wondering if anything is local.

Thanks!

Cooper River is 1 1/2 hours drive from HH, but well worth the time if you can swing it. Not for beginners. Wicked currents, blackwater (1 - 2 ft vis) and cold water. This time of year the river is around 55 degrees. Gators are not out and about this time of year. You'll need a good strong light and a back up, as well as a long pick that you can drive into the bottom in order to hold on.
Try Tom McMillan 843 693 8485

That is what I was afraid of. Don't know that I can spare 3 hr drive time, plus dive time, although I would kill to dive the Cooper. Bring back some cool teeth for the family!

Next trip I will be sure to stay a couple extra days to make the trip over to the river.

Linda

Back
Top Bottom