Highland Power Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

greenblayza

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Poking around for some new fins and on DGX they only sell Highland Power Fins. Never heard of them (though, I'm no expert on fins by any means), but really like Scubapro Jet Fins. Was wondering how people feel about the differences in old school paddle fins between brands - I mean, they all look the same..

I have both and mostly use the Power Fins. They're only similar, not the same. The Jets are a little wider @ the middle and feel stiffer. The power Fins seem a little "slipperier." They're not made in Scotland. Funny name though.

Jets in the middle, Power Fins on the right:
fins_front.jpg
fins_rear.jpg

Last edited:
Great, thanks for the picture reference!

I'll be travelling (backpacking) with them so it looks like it might make more sense to go with the Highlands.

I see the Highland Power fins are featured here:

XSS_FN200_Group-640.jpg
Classic Fins and Universal S/S Spring Straps - Dive Gear Express

I can confirm that they aren't made in Scotland. I live in the UK, where fin production appears to have ceased.

I'm curious about Evad's Idi Power fins:
o_PkmBXEaQmIOnGsj.jpg
IDI Frog Foot Scuba Diving Fins Dive 24in. L-Used-Water For Sale

I see they come with a hump-like corrugation down the top of the blade and a corresponding hollow on the reverse. I've seen the same feature on Süper Star full-foot fins made by the Turkish manufacturer Şener Kauçuk:
d_1.jpg
Süper Star Batmaz Paletler - Turuncu Renk
The Turkish fins seem to have been made using fin moulds imported from, and originally cast, in Italy, where they were used to produce "Super Perry" fins:
SuperPerry.jpg

I was wondering what the advantage of the corrugation feature was, as it has appeared, according to the above, on fins made in Italy, Turkey and Mexico. I remember reading somewhere that the design was patented, although I can't find the patent online. Presumably to add stiffness to the blade without adding too much weight? Just curious.

In my experience the power fins use a softer rubber compound, which is good for foot pocket conformity/comfort, but not so good for power/back kicks

I have high arches and hate the Jet Fins foot pocket.

Poking around for some new fins and on DGX they only sell Highland Power Fins.

The also sell the Dive Right (ex-Apollo) fins and Hollis F-1s.

---------- Post added May 27th, 2013 at 08:50 PM ----------

They're not made in Scotland. Funny name though.

Highland Millworks was a small Florida manufacturer known for their hardware, especially tank bands. They were purchased by XS some time ago, that is why they are branded differently. Their products were never made in the UK.

---------- Post added May 27th, 2013 at 08:53 PM ----------

I'll be travelling (backpacking) with them so it looks like it might make more sense to go with the Highlands.

Hog has some new fins out that are close to the Poseidon (and some others) fin. They are shorter than jets and can fit in a carry-on. Check out the Edge forum for more details. Also there is the Hollis F-2 which is a shorter fin.

---------- Post added May 27th, 2013 at 09:14 PM ----------

I'm curious about Evad's Idi Power fins:
View attachment 155672

This photo is for frog foot fins which were another product. I think IDI went out of business in the early 00's and XS picked up the power fin. I am not sure what happened to the frog foot. I would have to assume that any patent protection would be expired by now given the age of these designs.

Last edited:
Hog has some new fins out that are close to the Poseidon (and some others) fin. They are shorter than jets and can fit in a carry-on. Check out the Edge forum for more details. Also there is the Hollis F-2 which is a shorter fin.

Thanks ams! I'm looking into the F-2 now!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom