highest probability emergency situations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The BSAC incident report covers incidents reported by BSAC members all over the world, all UK deaths (whatever nationality) and should also have all deaths of UK divers abroad due to the coroners work here.

Diving in the UK is not like the blue water style SB people may be familiar with:

1. There are no guided dives. Either you are on a course or you are diving with a buddy/team/solo and responsible for yourself. That means planning a dive to at least some extent.

2. The vis is usually not so good. This means people cannot see the surface and are a bit less complacent about being able to just swim up. This also leads to there being no guided dives. You cannot have a group bigger than three in 2m vis.

3. The weather, sea conditions and season are not 'easy'. Getting in the water is a major achievement all on its own. The sort of diver who does a week once every few years in the Caribbean does not dive in the UK and is unlikely to be a BSAC member.

4. Here decompression diving is not technical, it is just diving. Not all club dives are deco dives but many are, especially the second dive following a shortish SI.

5. Most BSAC diving is organised by branches. There is a person (dive manager) responsible for the diving that day. By the book Safe Diving - British Sub-Aqua Club air, depth, stops etc are recorded by the dive manager. Inexperienced divers coming up with no gas, silly stops or generally behaving in a way likely to lead to an incident will end up having quiet chats about how that came about.

7. DCS evacuation and treatment in the UK is free to all.

Thus the spread of issues and reporting is going to be different.

Ken

Ps I left out the bit about gas calcs being easier in metric as then I would have to admit that doing stupid deco approximations based on time and depth in archaic units of measurement might lead to fewer deco incidents. :)

The conditions you describe are rather similar to how it is in Norway, with the exeption of deco. Although divers with older CMAS certs may indulge in a little "light deco", more recently certified divers generally regard deco diving to belong in the tec realm.

Fortunately, we have so few fatalities that it just isn't possible to get any meaningful statistics from them. So the BSAC reports are the closest we get to something fairly relevant for us on this side of the North Sea.

--
Sent from my Android phone
Typos are a feature, not a bug

I am far less worried about encountering an actual emergency than I am of the new-ish diver who thinks they have it all dialed in and starts getting complacent. When they start not listening to the dive brief or think they know about how long they were down, so they should have about yay much air left, instead of checking the gauge, that person gets on my radar.

So I tend to look at the attitudes first, not so much the emergency later. That's why I like Rescue Diver cert so much. It teaches people to head off problems before they become full blown emergencies.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom