Higher prices on dive gear coming?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bob3

Contributor
Reaction score
Over the past year the buying power of the dollar has shrunk to less than 70¢ from where it was last year, compared to the European currencies.
Many of the European gear suppliers have held their prices, but they can't keep hanging in there for much longer.
Now might be a good time to buy the goodies you've been waiting on, as the prices on a lot of gear will be creeping up & up.
Some of it has already, Suunto computers have increased in price by almost 1/3, and some international dive facilities have discontinued using the dollar as their "standard".
Maybe we should start a pool to see how low the dollar will wind up at if/when it bottoms out.
Everybody that wants in, toss a Kroner into the hat.

Another reason to buy more scuba stuff!! Thanks Bob!

I just ordered some goodies from Itay and as of Jan 1th the postal rates to the USA just short of doubled, so everybody hitting for more dollars to Euros

....tell me 'bout it......I just picked up a pair of new Beuchat Y-valves from one of my LDS's........they were $259.00 EACH !!!! (plus sales tax on top of that) YIKES !!!! (..... don't really like the 'layout' of H-valves and they're the only manufacturer of Y-valves today.)

P.S. .....please no comments 'bout how I shoulda bought isolation manifolds....I already have 2 twinsets so equipped.....I have a 'special' application for the Y-valves, so I 'know' what I'm doin'. :)

Karl

The dollar went up friday. It is helping the balance of trade and US companies. May have to buy US made dive stuff when possible.

Bob3:
Over the past year the buying power of the dollar has shrunk to less than 70¢ from where it was last year, compared to the European currencies.
Many of the European gear suppliers have held their prices, but they can't keep hanging in there for much longer.
Now might be a good time to buy the goodies you've been waiting on, as the prices on a lot of gear will be creeping up & up.
Some of it has already, Suunto computers have increased in price by almost 1/3, and some international dive facilities have discontinued using the dollar as their "standard".
Maybe we should start a pool to see how low the dollar will wind up at if/when it bottoms out.
Everybody that wants in, toss a Kroner into the hat.
Bob,

You're right about that, the dollar is taking a beating, it did take a slight gain on Friday but we are taking a beating on anything we import at the moment and prices will have to go up.

Sounds reasonable, we will see higher prices because of exchange rates. Also, as the economy continues to improve the market will bare higher prices, hence they will come.

Good time to get what you need, if can afford too.

SterlingDiver

scubafanatic:
....tell me 'bout it......I just picked up a pair of new Beuchat Y-valves from one of my LDS's........they were $259.00 EACH !!!! (plus sales tax on top of that) YIKES !!!! (..... don't really like the 'layout' of H-valves and they're the only manufacturer of Y-valves today.)

P.S. .....please no comments 'bout how I shoulda bought isolation manifolds....I already have 2 twinsets so equipped.....I have a 'special' application for the Y-valves, so I 'know' what I'm doin'. :)

Karl

Actually, I think those Y-valves are cool. I would buy a couple also, if they werent $259!!! Great for diving with a big single tank when you still want redundancy...

LUBOLD8431:
Actually, I think those Y-valves are cool. I would buy a couple also, if they werent $259!!! Great for diving with a big single tank when you still want redundancy...

......yeah, they they are pretty cool...... I'm installing one on my PST E8-130, and the 2nd on my OMS LP 112.....gettin' 'em ready for my dive buddy and myself to dive the Flower Gardens in March 04......since the charter recently updated their gear policy to 'no doubles'...otherwise I'd have brought one of my 'petite' twinsets with isolation manifold.

Also, might take some more 'tech' classes where doubles are prohibited but singles with H or Y valves are recommended/required...and also just nice to have for 'recreational' lake/quarry dives too.

Karl

scubafanatic:
......yeah, they they are pretty cool...... I'm installing one on my PST E8-130, and the 2nd on my OMS LP 112.....gettin' 'em ready for my dive buddy and myself to dive the Flower Gardens in March 04......since the charter recently updated their gear policy to 'no doubles'...otherwise I'd have brought one of my 'petite' twinsets with isolation manifold.

Also, might take some more 'tech' classes where doubles are prohibited but singles with H or Y valves are recommended/required...and also just nice to have for 'recreational' lake/quarry dives too.

Karl

AGREED.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom