High Pressure Tanks and Scubapro Reg MK25/S600

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Working in the compressed gas industries, I wouldn't trust a yoke over 3200psi. I've seen way too many pictures of pressure related accidents... Personnally, I have an old Sherwood blizzard that came with a yoke connection. I now use it with DIN for local dives and switch to yoke fitting when on vacation. This is really easy to do...

Interesting comment............

I use DIN myself, even on my LP tanks, because they are way cooler......:)

OK, truth is I have Poseidon Xstreem regs and I refuse to use an adapter.......

Only my warm water travel regs are yoked........:)

But you said not over 3200 psi............

My AL 80 reg is a IDI Icebreaker first stage (I know ironic I use a Icebreaker for warm water diving), on the yoke is says 4000 psi.......

I will admit that in my early days of diving, I did the English Channel with my IDI reg and when I cracked the valve the needle swung to 3600 psi, which was the first time I had seen this, but since the yoke said 4000 psi, I was not that worried.......should I have been?

I believe that Atomic regs use 3500 psi yokes........

Can you elaborate on the 3200 psi limit, and thoughts about the 4000/3500 psi ratings?

Thanks...............M

......don't worry about 'overloading' your 3500 PSI yoke....as stated earlier, there's a substantial 'fudge factor' incorporated in these products... moreover, good luck even getting a fill exceeding 3500 PSI anyway...outside of one tech-friendly shop I used to patronize (before they went out of business in 2006) I've never...ever...never...ever got a fill exceeding 3500 PSI...so don't worry about it.

By D.O.T. (Dept. of transportation) standards fill over 3300psi have to use DIN connections.
Sorry, that it totally wrong.

If anything, it is an industry standard, not a DOT regulation. The DOT could not possibly care less whether you have a yoke or DIN connection on a tank.

-----

Over the years yokes have become stronger to deal with increasing service pressurse. For exampel the 50's era yokw was designed for 1800 and 2250 psi tanks with 10% over fills so the service rating was a max of about 2500 psi. Later when 3000 psi tanks became popular yokes were made stronger to prevent any stretching at the higher 3000-3300 psi service pressures, still later, they got really robust with the current 7/16" yoke screw being more or less standard surrounded by a very heavy yoke, with about twice the metal as the early 3000 psi yokes and many of those are stamped with 3500-4000 psi markings.

A well designed modern yoke is not going to be any where near failure at 3500 psi.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom