High Pressure Tanks and Scubapro Reg MK25/S600

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I just ordered a scubapro MK25/S600 reg and am looking to buy a worthington HP100 tank - is there any conflict there or adapter needed or could I hook them up and go diving?

Thanks,

No conflict unless your valve is a yoke, and your reg is a DIN, or vice versa. :)

You'll love the reg combo. I have two myself and they are excellent regs!

The worthington tanks normally come with a thermo pro valve, which is DIN valve with a screw in adapter for a yoke. You should be good to go either way.

If I were you I would convert the MK25 to DIN for the HP tanks..........

From the SP website - the standard yoke is rated for 232 BAR (3364 psi)........

The HP 100's are rated for 3442 psi.............

Of course, you could just slightly under fill the tanks........

As the tanks come with combination DIN/yoke valves you from that perspective you are set...........

It is interesting that SP does not provide a 3500 psi rated yoke like many others for just this reason........

Hope this helps........M

BTW DIN is cooler anyway...............:)

Scubapro legal/liability butt covering aside, the Scubapro yoke is fairly heavy and I would not anticpate any issues with the yoke stretching or failing even at 4000 psi.

The difference between 3364 and 3442 psi is only 78 psi and 3442 psi is only 102.3% of the yoke's rated pressure. Even a very conservative engineering safety margin of only 120% of rated pressure would allow for 4037 psi, and a 50% safety margin is far more likely. So it is frankly a non issue and I would not lose sleep over it.

DIN is cooler and is preferrable for overhead environments, but it is has its faults as well. DIN valves trap far more water and increase the potential for water to be introduced into tansk through careless fill practices. They can also be a pain to screw on and off compared to a yoke and yoke is still the standard in many destinations, so you end up having to convert the reg back to yoke to travel or use a yoke adapter that adds about 3/4" to the lenght of the reg, making it more likely to contact your head during the dive. DIN is wonderful in the right circumstances and in technical diving it is the only way to go, but it does not come without costs.

Contrary to popular belief, a well designed yoke valve has metal to metal contact and is no more prone to o-ring extrusion than DIN. Where extrusion becomes an issue is if the yoke is very light weight and stretches or where the valve fce on the tank is really beat up and no longer provides the face to face metal to metal contact that the original design allowed.

Consequently, unless you have an actual need for DIN, I would not covert to DIN.

The MK 25 reg itself is a 300 bar / 4350 psi rated reg, so 3500 psi is not an issue with it in terms of internal operation.

I have that exact set up, only the tanks are a little bigger, instead of HP100 I use double Worthington X8-119 (HP119), the MK25/S600 is a great combo and very good for hose routing as well. If you dive could water though maybe MK17/S600 would be better (sealed diaphragm)

I agree with DA Aquamaster that SP yokes are robust and should not have problems with the HP, but ideally you should use DIN for a full fill, so I suggest you go for DIN regs, although the valve comes with a yoke adapter. Also DIN gives you a cleaner setup, one entanglement point less to worry about.

I just ordered a scubapro MK25/S600 reg and am looking to buy a worthington HP100 tank - is there any conflict there or adapter needed or could I hook them up and go diving?

Thanks,

Only if you don't put any air in the new tank. Great setup BTW, have fun!:wink:

All, thanks so much for the feedback. Very helpful. I really want to stay with the yoke setup as half my diving is on vacation and everything seems to be set up for a yoke.

Thanks again, this was my first post on the boards and its nice to get the help!

John

I have the exact set-up and could not be happier. The cylinders are absolutely perfect for most males of meduim to large build IMO and the reg set-up cannot be second guessed. You did a great job with your selections. If you really want to start a discussion, bring up BCD's and watch the thread fly...

Last edited:
By D.O.T. (Dept. of transportation) standards fill over 3300psi have to use DIN connections.

Back
Top Bottom