High pressure pony?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mtsidford

Reaction score
I read a post on here not too long ago regarding a high pressure steel pony tank that held 40 cf or so of air that was in a 19 cf or so package. Am I loony or does this exist?

Hi mtsidford:
You may be referring to the new Steel Pony Cylinders we have just introduced. They're available in four sizes; 13 cuft, 19 cuft, 30 cuft & 40 cuft. These are DOT 3AA cylinders with a 10% overfill and TC (Canada) approval. The working pressure is 3130 psi, 3442 psi with 10% overfill. We have them manufactured in Tilbury, Canada by Worthington Cylinder. The exterior finish is Hot Dip Galvanization.

The X5-40 (40 cuft) has a height of 18.75", approximately the same height as a Luxfer aluminum 19cuft. Though, the diameter of the X5-40 is greater (5.4") verses the aluminum 19 which is 4.9".

These cylinders are in stock and have been shipping since late last year.

You can view the specifications of all of the new Pony Cylinders here http://xsscuba.com/tank_steel_specs.html

mtsidford:
I read a post on here not too long ago regarding a high pressure steel pony tank that held 40 cf or so of air that was in a 19 cf or so package. Am I loony or does this exist?

Thank you very much! My buddies and I will now be purchasing a couple of your pony cylinders each following the Beneath the Sea dive show in NJ. Hopefully your booth will have a display we can look at in person to better define our needs. If not, we will purchase sight unseen, as your cylinders are ideal for us. Thanks again. Sid

Do keep in mind that, lovely as the little Worthingtons are, they are 5-6 lbs negative when full, which can create trim problems when mounted in some of the assymetric configurations often used for alu ponies.

Hi Sid:
We'll be displaying in booth# 610 at Beneath the Sea. Glad to hear that these pony cylinders will work for you. Since you asked, I'll bring a display including all four size Steel Pony tanks for you to check out. See you March 24 to 26.
http://www.beneaththesea.org/

mtsidford:
Thank you very much! My buddies and I will now be purchasing a couple of your pony cylinders each following the Beneath the Sea dive show in NJ. Hopefully your booth will have a display we can look at in person to better define our needs. If not, we will purchase sight unseen, as your cylinders are ideal for us. Thanks again. Sid

XS Scuba:
Hi mtsidford:
You may be referring to the new Steel Pony Cylinders we have just introduced. They're available in four sizes; 13 cuft, 19 cuft, 30 cuft & 40 cuft. These are DOT 3AA cylinders with a 10% overfill and TC (Canada) approval. The working pressure is 3130 psi, 3442 psi with 10% overfill. We have them manufactured in Tilbury, Canada by Worthington Cylinder. The exterior finish is Hot Dip Galvanization.

The X5-40 (40 cuft) has a height of 18.75", approximately the same height as a Luxfer aluminum 19cuft. Though, the diameter of the X5-40 is greater (5.4") verses the aluminum 19 which is 4.9".

These cylinders are in stock and have been shipping since late last year.

You can view the specifications of all of the new Pony Cylinders here http://xsscuba.com/tank_steel_specs.html

Interesting. Does this tank require a DIN valve?

Hi DivePartner1:
We include a Thermo PRO valve with these cylinders. This valve has a standard "yoke style" outlet, with a removeable, insert adapter that converts the valve to a DIN 230 bar outlet. This is the same style of valve we include with the 3442 psi X-Series cylinders. I've attached an image of a cut-away view of this valve and here's a link to a complete image:
http://xsscuba.com/valve_stand_alone.html

DivePartner1:
Interesting. Does this tank require a DIN valve?

Back
Top Bottom