High pressure hose seeps and sweats.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Waterwulf

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I was servicing my regulators yesterday and noticed something that I'm not sure about. I had them under pressure in a tank of water and was checking seals, pop off pressures, inhalation pressures, etc and noticed very tiny little bubbles on my high pressure hose...the one going to my gauges. There were only a few and they were not bubbling or leaking. They looked like sweat. I wiped them off while it was all still underwater. They came back right away. They never did get big enough to bubble off but did come right back when I wiped them off. Anybody ever see anything like that before? Is the hose actually starting to seep and go bad? Thanks for any info.

sounds like the hose is starting to go. I'd grab a new HP hose and just keep it in the save a dive kit until this one actually goes. I have found that Randy at Piranha is still supplying high end rubber hoses which is a relief

If it's a braided hose it may be surface air trapped in the braiding working it's way out. In that case it will stop after a minute or so. Typically a rubber hose will swell when leaking, you'll know when you see it.

If it's a braided hose it may be surface air trapped in the braiding working it's way out. In that case it will stop after a minute or so. Typically a rubber hose will swell when leaking, you'll know when you see it.

that hasn't been my experience with rubber HP hoses exhibiting this behavior. All of the hoses I have seen start to exhibit this behavior and then ultimately fail ~30 of them for reference, has been that they start weeping, and as time goes on, the bubbles get more frequent until it looks like an air stone in an aquarium. Never let one catastrophically fail, but as soon as they start looking like the air stone we take them out of service

Mine was weeping as well...I just changed it out...why wait for something cataclysmic to happen?

that hasn't been my experience with rubber HP hoses exhibiting this behavior. All of the hoses I have seen start to exhibit this behavior and then ultimately fail ~30 of them for reference, has been that they start weeping, and as time goes on, the bubbles get more frequent until it looks like an air stone in an aquarium. Never let one catastrophically fail, but as soon as they start looking like the air stone we take them out of service
Interesting. I've seen several times champagne bubbles came from the crimps, I don't recall seeing bubbles from mid hose on rubber ones. I've had 4 of mine swell up to about an inch or more thick and seen others do the same. I just had my low pressure primary swell up a few days ago too, no bubbles seen. The difference may be I keep a few spare hoses in my gear and change them at the first sign of trouble. I usually cut them in half when changed so they won't get used again.:)

I was servicing my regulators yesterday and noticed something that I'm not sure about. I had them under pressure in a tank of water and was checking seals, pop off pressures, inhalation pressures, etc and noticed very tiny little bubbles on my high pressure hose...the one going to my gauges. There were only a few and they were not bubbling or leaking. They looked like sweat. I wiped them off while it was all still underwater. They came back right away. They never did get big enough to bubble off but did come right back when I wiped them off. Anybody ever see anything like that before? Is the hose actually starting to seep and go bad? Thanks for any info.

This is normal and will happen even with new hoses. The bubbles are most noticeable on a hose that is new or that has not been used in some time.

Here's why. Rubber hoses are built in multiple layers. At a minimum, there's an inner rubber tube, a braid over that, and an outer jacket to protect the braid. Sometimes there's more than one layer of braid. Sometimes there's more than one layer of tubing, either between braids or over the inside tube depending on the design of the hose.

The braid has gaps in it and these form trapped spaces because of the outside tube and the inside tube. To allow these spaces to equalize, most SCUBA hoses have a perforated outer jacket with pin-prick sized holes roughly every inch in a line along the length. When you pressurize an HP hose, the inside tubing stretches partially into the gaps in the braid. Whatever is in the gaps in the braid will be partially forced out of the jacket through these pin holes -- either air (bubbles) or water (weeping), or a combination where they kind of spit. Look at the source of the weeping or the bubbles, and if it's every inch in a line, you can be sure that it's from the perforations. The weeping or bubbling will eventually subside even if the air is left on.

If you want to be sure it's not a leak, leave the air on with the hose submerged. If there are still bubbles coming out after a reasonable period of time -- I don't know, 10, 15 minutes, an hour -- you have a leak.

How else can you tell if a rubber hose is shot? Absent a leak, if the integrity of the outer jacket is compromised (tears, holes), the hose should be replaced because the jacket can no longer protect the braid. Loss of flexibility is a warning sign. Corrosion of the fittings is a warning sign. You can look at the date code stamped in the crimp and see how old it is, since the rubber will degrade chemically whether it's in use or not. The maximum age is debatable but it is one piece of the puzzle.

All this is true of HP and LP hoses alike but the bubbling/weeping effect is more pronounced and more noticeable with HP hoses.

If the bubbles are coming back after being wiped away as the OP described than the hose is bad and failing. This is actually by design. If you look closely at the surface of any rubber HP hose you will see a series of what looks like pin pricks along the outer casing in a regular pattern. They are small and you might have to bend or stretch the hose to see them. The hoses are made up of multiple layers of rubber and braided overwrap like 2airishuman describes but they are molded together so that on a "good" hose there is no gaps between the layers. The inner liner has a small crack or leak somewhere and air has worked its way through the inner layers. The outer layer has perforations so that it leaks very slowly instead of (or before) failing catastrophically. Time for a new hose.

I had that on a HP hose (rubber) a long time ago, and was told that when you see air bubbles forming at the "pinpricks", the dimples that normally are present along the hose, that means the hose is failing, and they are intended to leak at the dimples first, rather than surprise you with a failure. Dunno if that is true, but I think I'd just get a new hose from a reputable source, and not worry about it.

I've not seen a new hose weep but there's one (second owner) that's been doing champagne bubbles from it's midsection since I got it. Around 400 hours underwater with it so far between myself and a few other divers borrowing it, my best estimate the hose is from the 70s given the original owner's tale.

Regards,
Cameron

Back
Top Bottom