Hiding behind your screen name

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Curt Bowen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Why is it that many of the members here on the Scuba Board do not put their real name in their profile? Every time I look to see whom I am speaking with other than, mickey mouse, some cartoon drawing, or a photo of a fish I find no real name on their profile.

Do you not have your real name posted because your afraid of someone knowing who you are or does this provide a smoke screen so you can flame others about diving in which you really have no experience or knowledge about and your playing a guru internet diver.

Most of us are here because we love this sport and wish to interact with others with the same interest. I would like to see more divers post their real names so I know who the heck I am speaking with. I think it also adds credibility to your posts.

Maybe even a photo of your self would be good also.

agreed.... this has been a mystery to me for some time, Curt. I'd be interested in hearing why some people choose aliases instead of their real name (even if it's just their first name).

-d

Curt Bowen:
...does this provide a smoke screen so you can flame others about diving in which you really have no experience or knowledge about and your playing a guru internet diver.
I sure hope not!!
I don't use my real name for safety reasons. Same reason I ask my family and friends not to give out my phone # to anyone they do not personally know. There are just too many kooks out there and being a "public servant" there are people I contact in my day-to-day work who don't always have the best of intentions. I'm a single woman living by myself in a rural area. If someone put even a little effort into it, they would be able to find me pretty easily. Also - I use the same screenname (with a slight variation if someone plagerized it :wink:) on every board or list I participate in. If someone has a reason for knowing my real name, I have no problem revealing it. I'd just rather not do it on a public forum.

Curt Bowen:
Every time I look to see whom I am speaking with other than, mickey mouse, some cartoon drawing, or a photo of a fish I find no real name on their profile.

Curt,
First of all, let me say that I like your magazine.

Now, I checked out your profile and saw a cartoon character. Now look at your quote above. Lead the way Curt, lead the way. You should swap your (all beit cute) cartoon pic of a diver with your real pic.

Did I mention I like your magazine? I really do... :crafty:

With all due respects....I'm just having a little fun with you.

Dive safe and often!

I do use my real name, I just dont use all of it, and like snowbear I use the same name or a slight variation of it on all boards I visit.

While the Internet is not completely anonymous, using an alias is one way to try and keep your name off the net. Some people like to remain anonymous for various reasons, I don't think there is anything wrong with that. You need to remember what media we are communicating over, not everything is innocent...there are some people out there with mental issues.

For example: over time you can learn alot about somebody, what town they live in, hobbies, family, names of kids, their life style in general, work place etc etc....piece that all together and you could potentially have a problem if someone wanted to exploit it.

I don't mind talking to aliases, eventually you will learn their real name if it leads to that. Peoples thoughts and opinions are more important to me than their name anyway....so i dont care if your called Curt Bowen or Uncle Pug. :)

Jepuskar AKA: Jason :wink:

Curt Bowen:
Why is it that many of the members here on the Scuba Board do not put their real name in their profile? Every time I look to see whom I am speaking with other than, mickey mouse, some cartoon drawing, or a photo of a fish I find no real name on their profile.

Do you not have your real name posted because your afraid of someone knowing who you are or does this provide a smoke screen so you can flame others about diving in which you really have no experience or knowledge about and your playing a guru internet diver.

Most of us are here because we love this sport and wish to interact with others with the same interest. I would like to see more divers post their real names so I know who the heck I am speaking with. I think it also adds credibility to your posts.

Curt - plug us in your next "issue" and I'll add a "real name" profile field :wink:

Just kidding, i think most users choose to hide their real name or use only a first name because really you don't know who is out there. Clearly it is better to establish who you are before you flame/attack or even praise someone BUT at the same time you may not want all of your comments tracking back to your dive shop or to your business or just to you in general. People are scared not of being caught openly in a lie so much as being caught in person by someone they don't want to have knowing them. ScubaBoard takes privacy very seriously and so do many of our users but we also encourage people to post as much information as they feel comfortable with and while that may not include a full name you shouldn't need a full name... a first name and their dive history should provide plenty of information to know who you are speaking to and of course if you don't think someone has the credibility to make a statement then don't pay attention to it.

P.S. Don't take this as an attack on your rant, rant all you want... just understand where people are coming from.

-- Ted

Both my initals and my last name are pretty common so I can't use those. For a while I used a varation of my initials (my old user id from college) but didn't like being adress by it when people replied to me. So I did the next best thing, I went with my nickname.

I've seen several people complain about using screen names. Frankly I don't get it. How do you know if my name is Drew Dunn or if it's really Charlie Decker?

Curt.

Is it truly that important to know some ones real name before you can decide if he/she is blowing smoke?

I can usually tell if some one id pissing on my boots and telling me it is a rainstorm.
but like Snow Bear I use the same one or two handles on line.

I am always ether Sparky or some times Spark James, which btw has my real name in it.

But to tell you the truth. I never gave the matter any thought.

as to posting pictures of my self I am doing you a big favor by not making you look at my ugly @$#$% and besides I am far to lazy to make my Picture files small enough for these web sights to accept them.

Now if the web sight would take my Picture and make it the size they wanted automatically I would post more Pictures.
However, I am to busy to bother.

I know that is My Bad. At least I am honest about it.

James. Cutchall
Seaside OR.

Sparkyjames

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom