Hidden Gem Dive Locations in US

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zach The Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Broad and vague question. I’m only posting it here because I currently live in the “Dixie” area, but this question applies to all of the US.

What are some hidden gem locations for diving in the US? Places that people may not initially consider? For context, I’ve done most of my diving in the Pacific Northwest in Washington and British Columbia before moving down here, and I have also dove in Oahu/Kona in Hawaii and several locations around the Florida Panhandle. I am planning a trip to the Keys this December.

Wondering what might make for an unusual but memorable extended weekend dive trip?

Let’s see your suggestions.

I wouldn't call it a hidden gem but diving off the coast of North Carolina was, to me, a huge surprise in terms of how great it is. The Gulf Stream brings up all sorts of Caribbean critters and we have tons of wrecks and it's really fun. I was surprised. Also, we have Sand Tiger Sharks, sometimes in hute numbers, and that's really fun, too. I like diving off Moorehead City with Olympus Diving.

North Florida springs are an easy drive as well and quite unique. Good place to rinse your gear after a Gulf dive.

Since you're in Alabama, you might consider diving the (semi-)local quarries. Blue Water Park in Pelham is a big draw, and I frequently go to Dive Land in Gadsden. You could easily do both in a weekend trip.

The shipwrecks of the Great Lakes & St. Lawrence River....

Panama City (if you haven't been there yet) for boat diving and St Andrews Jetty shore dive.

Blue Heron Bridge (shore dive) and offshore boat diving in the area.

The Flower Gardens on a liveaboard boat off Texas.

Agree with the above regarding North Carolina.

Back
Top Bottom