Hidden $2,400 coin makes dives to the Vandy a treasure hunt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaBill1955

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
This was online from the Fort Myers News Press:

1:10 A.M. — KEY WEST - Here's a story that will bring out the treasure hunter in all you scuba divers.

Documentary filmmaker Pat Clyne has hidden a $2,400 silver coin from the 17th-century Spanish galleon Atocha on the 523-foot Hoyt S. Vandenberg, and the rule is finders keepers. Clyne has done his share of treasure hunting: For more than 30 years, he worked for Mel Fisher, whose crews have salvaged more than $500 million in treasure from the Atocha and her sister ship the Margarita.
The coin is in a black tin box with magnets on the back; whoever finds it can e-mail Clyne, who will send the diver the coin's certificate of authenticity, signed by Fisher.
Why would Clyne give up a historically significant $2,400 silver coin?
"Because I can?" he asked rhetorically. "I have a couple left over, and I thought it would be exciting for divers. Besides the aesthetics of the dive itself, this gives them a little something to keep their eyes peeled for."
The Vandenberg is a big ship so Clyne is posting clues on his YouTube channel. For example:
- If you're swimming east, it would be on your snorkel side of the boat.
- If you're crossing the boat amidships from starboard to port, it would be on your regulator side.
- You don't have to be a tech diver to find this but a flashlight will help.
"Those clues eliminate 75 percent of the Vandenberg," Clyne said. "But there's still a lot of ship."
Clyne will eventually post a photograph of the coin's location.
"People will probably laminate the picture and take it down with them," he said. "That's what a treasure hunt is: research, perseverance and optimism. I think I learned that from a guy I used to work for."

Even with the clues, this still seems like an accident (or death) waiting to happen.

Here ya go

Let's sit back and see how many Out of Air Emergencies result from divers being hypnotized by $$$$$$$$ trying to stretch that tank.

I'm not so sure this is a great idea.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom