HID Lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The handle was the first thing I addressed with it. So I glued up a rubber wrist strap, but then decided to make a quick velcro goodman style gripper.

I also discovered that the lantern style handle slides under the wrist sleeve of my wetsuit, and locks into place quite well from the pressure of my Atom 2 watch band. Just hoping the stress doesn't break the band sending my $1K 'putor to davy jones locker!

Good for you that the Sartek has all these good features for only slightly more bucks.

The focus is quite good on this light - 6 degree spot with plenty of flood wash for most use, but I guess the limitation of its non adjustable focus is what I'm happily not paying for (for me anyway).

Thanks for the info on this hands free set, but I just scoured your website and can't find it.

I'll buy it if you show me.

The handle was the first thing I addressed with it. So I glued up a rubber wrist strap, but then decided to make a quick velcro goodman style gripper.

I also discovered that the lantern style handle slides under the wrist sleeve of my wetsuit, and locks into place quite well from the pressure of my Atom 2 watch band. Just hoping the stress doesn't break the band sending my $1K 'putor to davy jones locker!

I would NOT use your computer strap to secure your light! :D

Sounds like we have some good support here from DarkBuster. Kudos!

One cool thing about SB is that we have a great set of vendors who LISTEN to what we like/ or dislike on products!

Here is your chance Blazinator to share your thoughts on how DarkBuster can make this an easier light to carry or to determine other options they may have available! :D

Thanks man for posting this information. Helps me alot.

This is essentially copied text from another post I made:

I don't know why I never hear of these here on SB, but I am totally blown away by my new 24 watt HID for 380 bucks on Scubatoys.com.

Yes, you heard me right - 24 Watt HID for less than 400 bucks. Lithium ion battery, 120 Min burn time per charge, absolutely the brightest thing underwater. Comes with an amber filter for color correction for video and stills - tested it and really creates true color. Also comes with video diffuser filter.

Sure it doesn't have a cable cannister set up, so you have to hold it lantern-style, but to save a grand as compared to the Dive-Rite 21W for a brighter light? No-brainer. Bulb is more durable than Dive Rite too.

I set mine up with black light filters to take advantage of the high UV output for BioFluorescent night dives - real cool to see corals fluoresce.

In November 2006 I purchased two of the 24w Darkbusters from Leisurepro when they still had them available for $285 each. I have used them on 50-60 dives since then, and have not had a single problem. My only regret is that I did not buy four of them.

The build quality is good but not great (you don't have that "built like a tank" sense when you handle them, so don't drop them). The biggest drawback in my mind was the fact that they ship out of China, so getting support or service could be difficult or impossible. I kind of figured that whenever they died I'd just have to throw them away (no tears shed because I have already gotten my money's worth many times over), but if "on-the-edge lighting" is able to service them in the US that would be fantastic.

A can light is a completely different animal, so if you are looking for those features-- a small light head with a goodman handle, a tight focusable beam, etc-- then you will not be happy with a large lantern in hand. The one reason to buy a Darkbuster is to get a stunning amount of light at a fraction of the cost per lumen from any other source.

I paid about $600 for a 48w HID setup vs $2,000+ from anyone else. I shoot a lot of video so I don't want a hard spot beam-- I ordered my Darkbusters with video reflectors (dimpled) and still add diffusing lenses for even more wash. I tried to upload some video clips for you here because seeing is believing but for some reason I can't get them to transfer (if anyone can PM me a how-to I will do so)...I just got back from a week of cave diving in Mexico, and it's incredible how two of these Darkbusters can light up a cave.

Beezwax, thanks for the great words about the Darkbuster. We feel that these lights are the best product you can buy for the amount of money they are being sold for. Plus the great thing about On The Edge Lighting is that they can service warranties on the lights and have all replacement parts. The website is fairly new and is still being upgraded. But, any parts or accesorries for these lights that you see on the Brightstar-Hid.com website can be ordered through On The Edge.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom