HID Lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wolf_eel

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm trying to locate information on a dive light called "The Dark Buster".
Apparently this product is made by a company called Bright Star but I can't find anything online about them. Any help would be appreciated.

This is essentially copied text from another post I made:

I don't know why I never hear of these here on SB, but I am totally blown away by my new 24 watt HID for 380 bucks on Scubatoys.com.

Yes, you heard me right - 24 Watt HID for less than 400 bucks. Lithium ion battery, 120 Min burn time per charge, absolutely the brightest thing underwater. Comes with an amber filter for color correction for video and stills - tested it and really creates true color. Also comes with video diffuser filter.

Sure it doesn't have a cable cannister set up, so you have to hold it lantern-style, but to save a grand as compared to the Dive-Rite 21W for a brighter light? No-brainer. Bulb is more durable than Dive Rite too.

I set mine up with black light filters to take advantage of the high UV output for BioFluorescent night dives - real cool to see corals fluoresce.

Here is the highlighted link to find it on the scubatoys website (buried on 2nd page of their light list):

Dive Lights, Primary Dive Lights, Backup Lights, Tank Marker Scuba Lights, HID Lights then scroll to middle of page.

Still wondering if there is a "catch" to this great deal. Only used the light on three dives thus far.

Lack of a goodman handle is a total deal breaker for me (this thing looks huge and unwieldy). Also, doesn't look like you're getting much focus out of that light, also a total deal breaker. I use my light for signaling.

Lack of a goodman handle is a total deal breaker for me (this thing looks huge and unwieldy). Also, doesn't look like you're getting much focus out of that light, also a total deal breaker. I use my light for signaling.

DIY man, DIY. Lightcannon doesn't come with a goodman either :) You could DIY something up pretty easily, and someone on TDS has pictures to help you too.

However, if you already have a light that works well for you, then don't bother with this. This would be more useful for OW divers, maybe a video light setup even?

As far as "searching" goes, I actually went to google. I had never heard of the product before that Icould recall and actually thought at first it was a lamp made by BrightStar, but found out it wasn't. If it's not a topic I've read about on SB once a week, I don't tell people to use the search function :) This was a unique topic and I wanted to help by providing links to the research I dug up.

Still wondering if there is a "catch" to this great deal. Only used the light on three dives thus far.

The catch is the form factor, Beam tightness, and maybe build quality. I paid $600 for my Sartek HID 10W with a diffuser, goodman handle, and a focusable head. For me, the $200 was well worth it vs. carrying around such a large lantern and render one hand useless.

The issues with these big lantern lights is exactly that, they are big lantern lights. I enjoyed how they put the weight as grams! 1800g is four lbs!

I think it's a great light for the money, but it is missing several key things that most wanting an HID demand. I'm curious about the build quality. Rated to 200 feet is certainly adequate for most divers, but most HID's are rated in the 1000 foot range.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom