hid light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

8buck

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
what do i need to make a hid light i already have the can and 12v battery and is the mr16 bulb comparable to a 10w hid

I'm toying with building an 18 w mr16 .
The ballast must be close to the lamp though because of the 1500 v required to strike the arc.

Welsh Allen makes a nice 10 W 12 V HID complete with the ballast. for $50 (US) ea in qty 1-10.

You just need to build the light head, and use your exisitng cannister, cable and switch.

Here's a link to a yahoo group on HID lights: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hiddivelights/?yguid=732022

Mike D

Hey guys I just went with the 50 watt halo bulb cost was 7.98 and works great for now buy i messed up and grabed the flood one instead of the spot light one oh well. Am looking into the ballast and light for 18 hid me being a sparky I have a couple guys looking around for me...

Ok I finished my light head almost. Good directions off the scubaboard but I might add keep the jb weld of your fingers or add less hardner man that was a pain in the but cleaning it off after applying it the light head. Works nice but need to find the spot light 50 watt halo and not the flood light 50 watt halo.

Mineral spirits works really well to clean off the excess JB Weld. It is hard to get it out of the knerling on the handle of the Mag-Lite though.

Why less hardner? The stuff takes something like 24 hours to dry when mixed per the directions.

Scott

Back
Top Bottom