hid canister light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

budcris

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
has anyone ever built there own hid canister light?
where do i get the compononets?
do i have to have a seperate hid ballast or is it in the light head?
can anyone give me any ideas on how to build one?

I haven't got there yet, but I am trying!

I see that you are based in the USA. My recommendation is that you look at Welch-Allyn HID products. It is not viable for me to get hold of them from sunny South Africa! The neat thing about them is that they are designed for 12VDC already. Here is a link to their technical information section:

http://www.walamp.com/halidetech.asp

They may be pricey, though.

I am in the process of building a ballast for a 220VAC 35W Philips metal halide lamp. It's a mission, but if I get it right (and don't kill myself), I will post my design to the board.

The ballast will sit in the lamphead to minimise losses in the cable between your battery pack and the lamphead. You also probably don't want high voltages (1.5kV on startup!) in the cable, in case it gets snagged on something and is damaged.

But I am learning myself. Looking forward to other posts...

Good luck!

I looked into building a HID canister light a while back and it was very expensive for the bulb and the ballast. Welch Allen sells a lot of the HID parts but you're looking at several hundred dollars for just the bulb and ballast. I desided on a Halogen instead.

I can't halp you with the HID part but I can help you with the canister and light head. Take a look at this link, I have about 70 pictures of my light as I was building it and the plans are in the documents section.

DIY Stuff

Scott

Well, they may not be specific to diving, but you may want to check out CandlePowerForums in the "Homemade and Modified" sections. And if you have questions specific to incadescent, LEDs, or HID there are a bunch of people who can answer those questions.

thanks guys but i think that i will just buy a aul hid light i think that i could buy it cheaper than i could make it

budcris:

Hi from france !
have a look at my web site, it might give you some ideas !
Sorry it's in french, english version is on its way

Regards

alain

budcris:

Hi from france !
have a look at my web site, it might give you some ideas !
Sorry it's in french, english version is on its way

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/alain.neveu/phare

Regards

alain

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom