Hi

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BabyDiver512

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello All.

I'm new to diving, certified last weekend as a matter of fact. I'm having issues getting my mask to stay clear. I've been told to use tooth paste on the inside (did it), I've been told to spit on the inside of it (did it), I have used defogger, and even had one of the guys who works at my dive shop take Comet to it :)shocked2:) and it still fogs up. I have been told to stop breathing through my nose...I'm not breathing through my nose.

Can anyone suggest something different?

Thanks

Thanks. I have some baby shampoo that I use on my suite to clean it...I will try that next time I go out!

A silly question, but does the mask fit you well?
If you place it against your face, without putting the strap behind your head, and breath in threw your nose, then hold your breath for a while, does the mask stay tightly on your face? Or does it lose it's seal quickly and drop away from your face? A god fit and seal all around is critical.

Another thought, I had a problem with my mask continually seeping for 3 dives last week. I discovered just a tiny fold in the purge valve, that kept my mask continually seeping water. Most my masks I have owned don't have any purge valve, by choice, but this one is prescription and by the time I noticed the valve I owned the mask.

Any loose strand of hair, tiny fold, wrinkle in the mask edge or skin will allow water to enter. Often a slow drip, that eventually washes away any anti fog you have applied.

Good luck. It is always something simple, but you can tear your hair out before you discover the little problem causing you all that head ache!

sometimes it may to a few or more uses to get better... keep at it..

For years we just used saliva, and it is very effective. These days I use a product called Sea Drops, which I like. And many, many places I have dived the operators have used Dawn dish detergent, or Johnson's baby shampoo has been recommended many times also, as an anit fog.

The non abrasive tooth paste is often suggested by manufactures of masks to clean away any protective oils that have been applied, and that can cause fogging in a new mask.

The mask fit when I first purchased it. I have noticed that since I've put a slap strap on it, I have had more and more issues with it fogging up. The only leaking problems I have had are when I dive with a hood (all of one time). Now, I have used my mask more in a chlorinated pool than freshwater, and I'm not sure if chlorine will distort the shape of the mask to my face or not.

Now that I have the slap strap on (for my longish hair) it seems that the seal isn't as tight, and when I tighten it, it is far too tight. I'm not sure if this is a new diver thing and I haven't quite figured out all of the little tricks of the trade or if I'm just a moron! LOL.

The fit did in fact cross my mind, but the mask isn't even a year old yet; then, a mask can be a year old and never been worn.

I'm only 23 and don't really have "laugh lines" but I have been told that could be another problem. I tried the mask on with out having a reg in my mouth and without being underwater, so naturally everything looks good when your dry. lol.

I repeat this little test, because this is the only way I know of to test how a particular mask fits any person's face. This fit is critical. Putting a tighter strap on won't change the fit, but actually will distort the seal.

the test is:

Place mask against your face, without putting the strap behind your head(at all, just mask loose against the skin), and then breath in threw your nose, holding your breath for a while. Does the mask stay tightly on your face? Or does it lose it's seal quickly and drop away from your face after a bit of time?

Even a mask that seems to fit well, and is comfortable, may actually have very a tiny area that is not sealing to your face correctly. Testing to see if it stays tight against your face with no strap at all will tell you if even a tiny leak is present.

You may want to try the toothpaste a second time, just to make sure you got the faceplate really clean. With a new mask you take a small amount of non abrasive toothpaste, and work it very well all over the glass. Rub it in, and then rinse it off well. Next try an anti fog, like the dish soap, saliva, shampoo, commercial product or whatever. Many agents do this job well. see if this helps.

for all of you who suggested baby shampoo....best advice i've gotten! tested it over the weekend cleaning the pool...no fogging!! was fantastic!

thanks again!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom