HI, Sup? and some gear questions to boot, from a newbie..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SquintyPete

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello all,
My name is Jacob..Im 21/male my sign is Cancer...
Now for the real stuff...
I would like to say first that I have been lurking for a while now and finally am ready to pick your brains etc. etc.
I am a newly certified Diver currently working on my Naui Advanced Cert. Also in the process of buying gear.

1. Are enviromentaly sealed regs important enough to worry about...

2. Secondly, I have only had the opportunity to dive in 72 degree water (a small section of Aquarena Spring Lake and the San Marcos River.) So only used a 3mm. Would purchasing a 5 mil Wetsuit be more function? I realize this is a to each his own but I want something that would allow diving during not just the peak of the summer….

3. Curious what the major theme of B.C.’s is for the Texas Swamp Divers.. Back inflate/vest/jacket. Etc. etc.

4. Any dive shop suggestions for The San Marcos/Austin area.
because I have a little money saved up and am eager to spend it..

I look forward to chatting with y'all at length...
Regards,

:dotdot: As I type we seem to be starting a war...
(If your suprised raise your hands....No takers?)
in 15 we will know for sure

You could have joined in earlier and let us get to know you before picking our brains!

SquintyPete once bubbled...
Hello all,
My name is Jacob..Im 21/male my sign is Cancer...
Now for the real stuff...
I would like to say first that I have been lurking for a while now and finally am ready to pick your brains etc. etc.
I am a newly certified Diver currently working on my Naui Advanced Cert. Also in the process of buying gear.

1. Texas water being like it, are sealed Regs the way to go? I know it’s mostly a cold water feature but I figured if no water from the environment can enter that would be great for nasty water……

You make it sound like our local lakes are teaming with stagnant, contaminated water! There's nothing wrong with Texas' water in most of the places we dive. As long as you rinse your gear well, the high alkaline water of Blue Lagoon won't be harmful to your gear. Although that is the only place I would prefer to have a sealed 1st stage because of internal build-up. Our Twin Lakes water is very clean and doesn't even require rinsing.

2. Secondly, I have only had the opportunity to dive in 72 degree water (a small section of Aquarena Spring Lake and the San Marcos River.) So only used a 3mm. Would purchasing a 5 mil Wetsuit be more function? I realize this is a to each his own but I want something that would allow diving during not just the peak of the summer….

Your cold tollerance will play the biggest part in your wetsuit selection. I'd suggest you get a wide range of combinations rather than just a full suit. For example, a 5/3 full suit with an added 2/3 hooded vest will be lots more comfortable than a single 7ml suit. Layering can be the answer and you'll have lots more temperature 'ranges' to choose from.

3. Curious what the major theme of B.C.’s is for the Texas Swamp Divers.. Back inflate/vest/jacket. Etc. etc.

The Southern Swampers mostly have back inflate or BP/wings. Choose your gear according to your needs, diving, and comfort, not what someone else has or tells you you need.

ok lay the guilt trip on..... your right I apologize for just poping out with such a question... Could I make up for it by being extreamly subtle and dodgeing around topics...? Ohh and I saw that you (Dee) posted about using a Zag/Stanley mobile work chest as a "tote" for gear, Do you use the 25 or 50 gal...
Doh! I guess Im not being sublte yet..I promise to work on it...

:D

Just because we are the swamp divers doesn't mean we only dive swamps.....:wink:

Welcome to the swamp.

I would be happier in 72*F water in a 5mm than in a 3mm.

BC's.. what Dee said.. what you are comfy with and suits your diving.

TwoBit

My gear/tool box is the 50 gal. It's last year's model and getting really hard to find. Stanley's big thing this year is metal tool boxes. However, we were in Lowe's a few days ago and saw one way high on the stack close to the ceiling!

LOL....guess I can't blame you too much, we've all done the same thing. Just keep in mind you've been 'reading' us for some time and already feel you know us. Jump in and join the gang. Give us time to know and feel the same about you....OK?

Due to confusion in my 1st post I re-worded my1st question....
:blush:
:stupid:

Ok.....I Will be a good boy... from now on..... I promise not :lurk: except during finals.....hope y'all find me worthwhile....

Hello Pete and welcome aboard.

I've got an USD SEA4 and I haven't had any problems with diving it in the local holes. I'm not worried about it but If need be they have a cold water kit which when converting it adds a small plastic cap which enviromentaly seals it. Check to see if your reg can be upgraded but I don't think it should be a concern unless your diving at a golf course where the may have lots of pesticideds.

Geek

Back
Top Bottom